Thank you for your interest in the Radiologic and Imaging Sciences (RIS) program at Grand Valley State University. This program includes the following majors:
- Radiation Therapy - competitive program - Fall start
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography - competitive program - Fall start
- Radiologic & Imaging Sciences - applicants with National Registration in an RIS field may apply to this RIS baccalaureate completion program. Upon admission to the university and approval of the director, students can start coursework in Fall or Winter. This is a non-competitive program.
The Radiation Therapy, and Diagnostic Sonography majors are set up as a 2+2 program. Students entering GVSU as a first year student interested in Radiation Therapy or Diagnostic Medical Sonography will take two years of RIS pre-requisite courses and General Education courses, then apply by February 1 of the year they hope to be accepted into the competitive admission program. After being accepted into the program students will study for 5 semesters or 20 months.
- Complete an application by February 1 of the year you anticipate entering the program
Radiation Therapy or Diagnostic Medical Sonography: application
Radiologic and Imaging Sciences B.S. degree completion: application
- Resume to include healthcare and job shadow experience
- Official copies of all non-GVSU transcripts
- One to two page statement of professional goals
- 16 hours of health care volunteer or paid experience to include a 2-3 hour job shadow in your area of interest.
- Two letters of recommendation on program designated forms (refer to application).
- Completion of the Prerequisite and General Education Course Worksheet (refer to application)
- Additional educational, leadership, scholarly, work experience and/or volunteer activities are valued.
The program will review the applications immediately after February 1. Some students will be invited to move onto the second part of the application process involving an interview and on-site writing sample. The interviews and writing samples will be conducted in February or March. Students will be notified of admission into the program in March.
All application materials must be submitted directly to the
Radiologic and Imaging Sciences program:
RIS - College of Health Professions, Suite #200
301 Michigan St., NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3314
phone: 616-331-3356; fax: 616-331-5999