LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Cardiovascular Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Radiation Therapy - 2021 Program Application Information
APPLICATION MATERIALS AND SUBMISSION INFORMATION
Application Deadline: FEBRUARY 1, 2021
The Cardiovascular and Diagnostic Medical Sonography and Radiation Therapy programs at GVSU are competitive and require completion of secondary application materials. Applicants must complete the prerequisites AND all of the GVSU General Education courses (excluding Issue courses) prior to the start of the program. Students may apply to the program February 1 if they can demonstrate that the prerequisites and general education courses will be completed by the time the program starts in August. There are no waiting lists.
Application Materials Checklist:
- GVSU Admissions Undergraduate Application (only required for students who are not currently a GVSU student). Students must be admitted to Grand Valley State University prior to the program application deadline.
- Cardiovascular Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Radiation Therapy Secondary Program Application (see blue button above) - Please Note: Plan to fully complete and submit this online application in one sitting as it cannot be saved to return to later.
- Statement of Professional Goals (1 - 2 pages) - Why are you interested in this career? What are your plans? What influenced your decision to choose this career field? (attach to application)
- Two Recommendations (see link above)
- Resume - List ALL health care experiences in one specific section of your resume.* Please include the total number of hours, days, and visits, and whether the health care experience was volunteer, a job shadow or paid. (attach to application)
- Grade of C or 2.0 higher for each prerequisite
- Verification of Course Completion form. (see link above; attach to application)
- Official and updated copies of ALL non-GVSU transcripts need to be sent directly to the Admissions Office at:
- Grand Valley State University
Attn: Admissions Office
1 Campus Drive - 150 STU
Allendale, MI 49401
- For those applicants not currently enrolled at GVSU or have not yet taken GVSU classes, you should meet with a CHP academic advisor as soon as possible to review your transfer course equivalencies and program eligibility. Go to our CHP Student Services Office website or call our office at (616) 331-5900 to set up a prospective student advising appointment.
All program application materials must be submitted by February 1, preferably attached to the electronic application or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If mailing materials is necessary, materials must be postmarked by February 1.
College of Health Professions - Student Services
Grand Valley State University
301 Michigan St NE, Suite #113
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3314
Questions about admissions and applications?
Call the CHP Student Services Office at (616) 331-5900 or email Jodi Ohman at email@example.com.
- Academic grade point average from prerequisite courses (40%)
- Academic grade point average from previous two calendar years (10%)
- Interview and/or Writing Assessment completed on-site at the College of Health Professions (30%)
- Health Care Experience – minimum of 16 hours volunteer or paid AND 2-3 hours job shadow (5%)*
- Recommendations (5%)
- Additional leadership considerations (10%)
- Physical Performance Requirements and Technical Standards
Two SWS courses are required for graduation. It is the responsibility of the student to select courses that will fulfill all writing requirements.
There are no waiting lists for this program. Program class size limit is based on clinical availability.
Once admitted to the CVS, DMS or RT program, students are expected to achieve a grade of B- or higher in all major courses to continue in the program.
*COVID-related UPDATE for 2021 Application Cycle:
Q: Do students need to complete the required ‘experience’ hours before they can apply?
A: No requirement for shadowing/volunteering in healthcare at all. However, healthcare experience will be considered for additional points as it was previously.
Q: Will students lose points if they don’t have the hours?
A: No penalty for not having the hours.
Q: Does the program recommend an alternative to the experience hours?
A: It is hard to replace a shadowing experience, but students can also learn more about the profession from the national associate: https://www.ardms.org/ or watch this SDMS video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K6tf27z6wU&t=61s.
The Cardiovascular Sonography Program requires a minimum of 54 pre-professional general education and prerequisite course credits.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program requires a minimum of 62 general education and pre-requisite course credits.
The Radiation Therapy Program requires a minimum of 54 pre-professional general education and pre-requisite course credits.
The College of Health Professions (CHP) Student Services Office (SSO) in collaboration with CHP faculty and staff provides academic advising, admissions, and other student services to future and current undergraduate and graduate students in support of their academic, professional and personal development on the campus and within the greater community.