MSW Advanced Standing: Policies & Procedures
As described on the University website and in the University Catalog (2015-2016, p. 288) the School of Social Work recognizes superior academic performance by students who have graduated from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited undergraduate social work program (BSW) within five years prior to enrollment in the MSW program. Advanced standing students are exempted from 18 hours of first-year core or foundation courses and the first semester of field education and may therefore accelerate their graduate study by completing only the remaining 38 hours of degree requirements in one calendar year.
Specific courses exempted are: SW 600, SW 601, SW 603, SW 610, SW 620, SW 690, and SW 650/651.
· Applicants must have an overall GPA no lower than 3.0 in their undergraduate coursework
· Official transcripts must note that the BSW degree has been awarded from a CSWE accredited program
· Applicants must have a minimum grade of 3.0 in all Social Work courses; or a 3.5 or above cumulative GPA in all Social Work courses
· Three professional recommendations, using our forms. Advanced standing applicants are required to submit recommendation from either their field supervisor or faculty field liaison.
· Forms can be accessed at: http://www.gvsu.edu/ssw/msw-applicant-guide-127.htm
Advanced Standing Graduate Eligibility Degrees
Advanced standing is awarded only to graduates holding degrees from baccalaureate social work programs:
· Accredited by CSWE
· Recognized by its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service
· Covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors