Article 1: Student Enrollment
- Fall and Winter Semester: All students currently enrolled at
Grand Valley State University are eligible for Intramural Sports participation.
- Spring/Summer: All students who were enrolled the previous winter
semester, enrolled in the present spring/summer session, or will be
enrolled in the following fall semester at Grand Valley State
University are eligible for Intramural Sports participation.
Article 2: Faculty & Staff
- All terms: All faculty and staff members employed at Grand Valley
State University are eligible for Intramural Sports participation.
Article 3: Club Sports Athletes
- An Intramural Sports team may contain TWO Club Sports athletes for
the respective sport in all leagues. For the purposes of Intramural
Sports eligibility, a person is considered a Club Sports athlete if
they were on the active roster for that sport on or after the first
day of classes for the current academic year (Aug-July). In
addition, Club Sport coaches are considered Club Sport athletes for
Intramural Sports participation purposes.
- For intramural sports eligibility, the total number of athletes is
from coed, men’s and women’s club sport teams combined, not each
Article 4: Varsity/Professional Athletes
- Any current or former member of an intercollegiate sport at Grand
Valley State University is ineligible for Intramural Sports
participation in that sport or similar sport, and will remain so
until 365 days have elapsed from his/her removal from the official
university team roster.
- Any current or former intercollegiate athlete at any junior
college, college or university shall be ineligible for Intramural
Sports participation in that sport or similar activity, until 365
days has elapsed from his/her removal from the official university
- Varsity scout team members, practice squads, and coaches will be
counted as club sport athletes for Intramural Sports participation purposes.
- A student or faculty/staff who is considered a professional
athlete is permanently ineligible for Grand Valley State University
Intramural Sports participation in that sport or similar sport in
which he/she lost his/her amateur status.
Article 5: Coaches & Non-Players
- Intramural Sports coaches are subject to the same eligibility as
participants and must check in and be listed on the team roster
prior to participation. Only squad members who are in uniform, ready
to play, and on a team’s roster are permitted in the team areas.
Non-players are NOT permitted in the team player areas and must be
in designated spectator areas of the facility.
Article 6: Number of Teams
- An individual may participate on one single gender team or one
open team and one co-rec team per sport. Being accepted by a team
captain on the IMLeagues.com website, or signing the assumption of
risk waiver at the game site, places the participant on the
respective team’s roster. It is the responsibility of the captain to
determine eligibility of players on his/her team.
- Housing and Greek team participation: individuals are eligible to
participate on one housing and Greek sanctioned team in addition to
the number of teams outlined in 1-6-1.
Article 7: Gender Eligibility
- No female shall be eligible for participation in a male division.
Likewise, no male shall be eligible for participation in a female division.
- Gender identification: individuals shall be permitted to
participate in Intramural Sports events in accordance with that
person’s asserted gender identity.
Article 8: Illegal Participation
- If a team uses an ineligible player in league play, all games or
contests in which the ineligible individual participated may be
forfeited to the opponents, regardless of the outcome. The illegal
player may be suspended for the remainder of the activity season
and/or the academic year. In elimination
tournament play, the team will be disqualified from the respective
position in the bracket at the time the ineligibility is
NOTE: Any claim of ineligible participation will be
investigated when brought to the attention, via official protest or
other means, of the Intramural Sports administration or student staff,
regardless of the number of games that the ineligible participation
occurred. For specific questions on eligibility, please contact
Intramural Sports administration.
Article 9: Rosters
All participants must be listed on the Official Team Roster prior to
their participation in any Intramural Sports activity. All player
additions must be completed in one of the following ways:
- Participants may be added to the team roster and approved on the
IMLeagues.com website any time prior to the start of the playoffs
for the league. This requires each participant to create an
IMLeagues.com account, utilizing their GVSU network credentials, and
agreeing to the terms and conditions. Names that appear on
IMLeagues.com and subsequently on the roster should match or closely
match that of the name on the participant’s government-issued photo
ID, which must be presented at the game site prior to participation
(see 1-12 for ID requirements).
- No on site additions allowed. Participants must purchase a pass
and be accepted to the team roster prior to playing. This may be
done on a desktop or mobile device. Intramural sports staff will not
add players to rosters at game sites.
Article 10: Housing Rosters
- Participants must be currently living in the housing community of
the team to be eligible.
Article 11: Greek Rosters
- Participants must be currently in good standing with the Greek
organization of the team to be eligible.
Article 12: Forms of Identification
- All participants must show an Intramural Sports Staff member a
government-issued photo ID (GVSU ID, Driver’s License, Passport,
etc.) prior to participation. If either the name or picture is not
legible by the staff member, a second form of identification will be
required. Misuse of identification cards
(transferring, lending, borrowing, or altering university
identification) is a violation of the student code of conduct and
shall result in ejection from the game. Names which appear on the
roster should match or closely match that of the name on the
participant’s government-issued photo ID. In the event the ID does
not match the participant using it, Intramural Sports staff may
confiscate the ID if it is misused by a participant.