Music Audition Information
This page is about auditioning to be a major or minor in Music at Grand Valley State. If you are a non-major student interested in auditioning for a performing ensemble, please visit our Ensemble Auditions page.
Audition Dates 2019-2020
Friday, August 16, 2019 (for Fall 2019 Entry)
Deadline to apply: July 16, 2019
Saturday, November 9, 2019
Deadline to apply: October 9th, 2019
Friday, February 7, 2020
Deadline to apply: January 7th, 2020
Saturday, February 22, 2020
Deadline to apply: January 22nd, 2020
Friday, March 13, 2020 (Final audition date for scholarship consideration)
Deadline to apply: February 13th, 2020
Saturday, April 4, 2020
Deadline to apply: March 4th, 2020
General Audition Information
1. Complete the Application for Music Program Admission and Scholarship for each instrument you wish to audition for and return at least one month prior to the audition date requested. You will receive your audition day schedule approximately 10 days prior to the audition date you selected.
2. Acceptance into our music program and scholarship awards are contingent upon acceptance by GVSU. It is best to apply early so that you receive word of your GVSU acceptance by your audition date.
3. Students interested in music scholarships are advised to audition early. Consideration for scholarship concludes on the March audition date. Learn more about scholarships here.
4. Piano accompaniment for instrumental auditions is not expected and is not provided. We will, however, provide a pianist for auditioning vocalists.
5. Each student auditioning will be scheduled to take a Theory Placement and Sight-Singing Placement Test. Vocalists will sight-sing during the voice audition for the committee of voice faculty. Instrumentalists will sight-sing for the faculty member giving the Theory Placement.
6. Students with 2 or more years of piano experience have the option to take a Piano Placement Test on audition day. The Piano Placement Test consists of a prepared piano piece, scales, and sight-reading. It may allow incoming students to test out of required Keyboard Musicianship courses. Learn more about Keyboard Musicianship course requirements here.
Please Note: Transfer Students who wish to be considered for scholarship must fill out the Prospective Transfer Student Release Form for Possible Scholarship Consideration.