Music Program Audition Information
This page is about auditioning to be a major or minor in Music at Grand Valley State.
If you are a non-major student interested in auditioning for a performing ensemble, please visit one of the links below.
Audition Dates 2022-2023
Friday, August 12, 2022 (for Fall 2022 Admission)
Application Due by August 1
Saturday, November 5, 2022
Application Due by October 5
Friday, February 3, 2023
Application Due by January 3
Saturday, February 18, 2023
Application Due by January 18
Saturday, March 18, 2023
Application Due by February 18
If audition dates have passed, please email Bridgett Vanderhoof about setting up a custom and/or virtual audition at firstname.lastname@example.org
General Audition Information
1. Complete the Application for Music Program Admission and Scholarship for each instrument you wish to audition for and return at least one month prior to the audition date requested. You will receive your audition day schedule approximately 10 days prior to the audition date you selected.
2. Acceptance into our music program and scholarship awards are contingent upon acceptance by GVSU. It is best to apply early so that you receive word of your GVSU acceptance by your audition date.
3. Students interested in music scholarships are advised to audition early. Consideration for scholarship concludes on the March audition date. Learn more about scholarships here.
4. Piano accompaniment for instrumental auditions is not expected and is not provided. We will, however, provide a pianist for auditioning vocalists.
5. Students with 2 or more years of piano experience have the option to take a Piano Placement Test on audition day. The Piano Placement Test consists of a prepared piano piece, scales, and sight-reading. It may allow incoming students to test out of required Keyboard Musicianship courses. Learn more about Keyboard Musicianship course requirements here.
Please Note: Transfer Students who wish to be considered for scholarship must fill out the Prospective Transfer Student Release Form for Possible Scholarship Consideration.