Band and Orchestra Auditions
Students Enrolled in Applied Lessons
All brass, percussion, string and woodwind students enrolled in applied music lessons are required to participate in Wind Symphony, Orchestra, or Concert Band (if available) except Bachelor of Arts majors who may elect other ensembles as indicated in the student handbook. Ensemble placement is by audition, only.
Course Conflict Policy
- Students enrolled in applied lessons are placed in an ensemble on the basis of audition. We will accommodate required courses that are only available that term (for example, EDI 331, but others exist) as long as your audition level matches that of the other players in the ensemble.
- Conflicts that are not time-sensitive (you could take a substitute course or section) will not be considered over audition placement.
- If you are not enrolled in applied lessons - typically students who are not music majors or minors - we will honor any time conflict that does not bump someone who placed higher in auditions. The auditions must be fair and have meaning.
- Please register ASAP. Rehearsal plans will be issued through the Blackboard course page.
Winter 2023 Audition Procedures
- String players should contact Professor Joel Schut [email protected] for orchestra auditions and placement.
- Orchestra auditions are complete for flute and trumpet. Students in the bands must audition for their placement.
- Orchestra and Wind Symphony placements are complete for clarinet, oboe, bassoon, horn, bass trombone, and percussion. Students playing those instruments who want to audition for Concert Band, please contact Professor John Martin [email protected].
- Auditions are open for saxophone, trumpet, tenor trombone, euphonium, and tuba for all ensembles.
- Students interested in auditioning must fill out the audition registration form at https://www.gvsu.edu/mtd/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=A4B1BD01-E6C3-257E-BFE22ECD0141E2B7. When you submit the form, you will receive a username and password to access the audition excerpts.
- Audition excerpts are available during finals week.
- You must use the username and password (not your GVSU username and password) on the "Non-GVSU Login", where it says "If Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance has given you a username and password to access this system, please log in below."
- Please enter information accurately. That information is passed on to directors to contact you about audition results.
- Students may also sight-read an excerpt.
- Questions regarding string auditions, please contact Professor Joel Schut [email protected]. Wind, Brass, and Percussion auditions, please contact Professor Tutt [email protected].
Winter 2023 Audition Schedule
- String players please contact Professor Joel Schut regarding auditions and placement.
- Flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, trumpet, horn, bass trombone, and percussion auditions are complete for Orchestra.
- Auditions are required for flute (bands only), saxophone, trumpet (bands only), tenor trombones, euphonium, and tuba.
Sunday, January 8
4:45 tenor trombones
Fall 2023 Audition Schedule (Tentative)
Auditions are currently scheduled to be held in PAC 1515.
Saturday, August 26
8:30 am - Saxophone
10:00 am - Bassoons
10:30 am - Oboes
1:00 pm - Clarinets
2:30 pm - Bass Trombone, followed by tenor trombones
4:00 pm - Trumpets
6:00 pm - Violins
Sunday, August 27
1:00 pm - Horns
2:30 pm - Flutes
4:00 pm - Tubas
5:00 pm - Euphoniums
6:00 pm - Percussion
7:00 pm - Violas
7:45 pm - Cellos
9:00 pm - Basses