LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
Band and Orchestra Auditions
Students Enrolled in Applied Lessons
All brass, percussion, string and woodwind students enrolled in applied music lessons are required to participate in Wind Symphony, Orchestra, or Concert Band (if available) except Bachelor of Arts majors who may elect other ensembles as indicated in the student handbook. Ensemble placement is by audition, only.
Course Conflict Policy
- Students enrolled in applied lessons are placed in an ensemble on the basis of audition. We will accommodate required courses that are only available that term (for example, ED 331, but others exist) as long as your audition level matches that of the other players in the ensemble.
- Conflicts that are not time-sensitive (you could take a substitute course or section) will not be considered over audition placement.
- If you are not enrolled in applied lessons - typically students who are not music majors or minors - we will honor any time conflict that does not bump someone who placed higher in auditions. The auditions must be fair and have meaning.
- Please register ASAP. Rehearsal plans will be issued through the Blackboard course page.
Fall 2022 Audition Procedures
- Students interested in auditioning must fill out the audition registration form (available by August 1, 2022). When you submit the form, you will receive a username and password to access the audition excerpts.
- You must use the username and password (not your GVSU username and password) on the "Non-GVSU Login", where it says "If Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance has given you a username and password to access this system, please log in below."
- Please enter information accurately. That information is passed on to directors to contact you about audition results.
- Audition excerpts will be available on Friday, August 5, 2022.
- Students will also sight-read an excerpt.
- If you have any questions, please contact Professor Tutt firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2022 Audition Schedule
Auditions are currently scheduled to be held in PAC 1515.
Saturday, August 27
9:00 am - Saxophone
10:00 am - Bassoons
10:30 am - Oboes
1:00 pm - Clarinets
2:30 pm - Trombones
4:00 pm - Trumpets
6:00 pm - Violins
Sunday, August 28
1:00 pm - Horns
2:30 pm - Flutes
4:00 pm - Tubas
5:00 pm - Euphoniums
6:00 pm - Percussion
7:00 pm - Violas
7:45 pm - Cellos
9:00 pm - Basses
Fall 2022 Audition Results
Ensemble assignments for Brass, Percussion, and Woodwind for Concert Band, Orchestra, and Wind Symphony.
Expected post date: Sunday, August 28 by 11:59 p.m.