HTM Costa Rica Faculty-Led Study Abroad
SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA - ¡Pura Vida! Join us on an adventure in the tourism capital of Central America – experience not only rainforest hikes, white-water rafting, and zip lining; but also the Tico Pura Vida culture through experiences like chocolate making and Latin American dance classes. Explore national parks and natural areas, stay in eco-lodges, Costa Rican University dorms, and even spend a night with a Costa Rican family.
This is a faculty-led study abroad program through the GVSU Padnos International Center.
Costa Rica: Geotourism & International Food and Culture
2020 Excursions & Highlights:
- Engage in zip lining and white water rafting activities to gain a better understanding of Adventure Tourism
- Visit National Parks and Preserves to facilitate an understanding of Nature Tourism and wildlife conservation
- Explore chocolate farms on horseback, tour the world’s only Starbucks coffee plantation, visit a sugar and banana plantation to help facilitate your learning about Costa Rican food culture
HTM 175*: International Food and Culture (3 credits) AND
HTM 368**: Geotourism (3 credits) OR
HTM 399: Independent Study
*Fulfills General Education Global Perspectives Requirement
**Fulfills a course in General Education Issues: Sustainability
The 2019 HTM Costa Rica Study Abroad students before starting their surfing lesson.
2020 HTM Costa Rica Program
Program Dates: May 1 - May 27, 2020
The total Projected Cost (Program Fee + Other Expenses) is $9,651, which includes:
- Program Fee ($5,530)
- Round-trip airfare
- All Meals
- Field trips and entrance fees
- All ground transportation
- Tuition - 6 Credits ($3,396)
- Other Expenses ($725 estimated)
- Spending money ($400)
- Vaccinations ($147 - optional)
- Passport ($150)
- ISIC card - optional ($28 - optional)
GVSU Padnos International Center Information
Walk-In Advising Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Hours are extended to 7pm on Wednesdays during the fall & winter semesters.
No appointment necessary!