LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Deforestation in Haiti
Deforestation has impacted Haiti on many levels. One of the reasons why deforestation has been so intractable in Haiti is that the income generated from cutting trees and producing charcoal is crucial to many the survival of many Haitians. This part of the site explores links and information related to this topic.
- Evaluation of forest cover estimates for Haiti using supervised classification of Landsat data (2014)
- 1944 Article on forest cover in Haiti by Morton A. Klein
- English Translation of the 1827 Rural Agricultural Code of Haiti
- Link to Google Maps location along the border of Haiti and the Dominican Republic where the deforestation is pronounced.
- Article in USA Today about the connection between Deforestation and Flooding.
- Article in the Christian Science Monitor about Haiti.
- Proud people in a land stripped Bare. A short article about deforestation and erosion conditions in rural Haiti by Dr. Peter Wampler at Grand Valley State University.
- Short Powerpoint Presentation about Charcoal Production (2012)