Visit www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus for more.
Cholera arrived in Haiti in 2010. The exact vector for its arrival is still somewhat in dispute but evidence indicates that the Cholera arrived with UN aid workers after the 2010 Earthquake. Through a leaking latrine system located near the town of Verrettes along the Artibonite River.
Below are several news stories and links to information about this outbreak.
- Cholera and blame in Haiti by Renaud Piarroux and Ralph R Frerichs (2015)
- Article in the New England Journal of Medicine about the cholera epidemic during first two years since 2010 (January 2013).
- Article in the New England Journal of Medicine about The Cure for Cholera - Improving Access to Safe Water and Sanitation (January 2013).
- CDC Web Site about the Cholera outbreak in Haiti
- Transmission dynamics and control of cholera in Haiti: an epidemic model
- Recent article from the United Nations about the cholera epidemic in Haiti.
- Cholera Cripples Haiti and editorial by Parsa Shahbodaghi.