LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
What is an FSA ID?
An FSA ID is comprised of a username and password and can be used to login to certain Federal Student Aid websites, such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).
The security of your FSA ID is important. Your FSA ID can be used to:
- Electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents,
- Access your personal records, and
- Make binding legal obligations.
If you are a parent and need to electronically sign your child’s FAFSA, you need your own FSA ID. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign their applications.
If your FSA ID is lost or stolen, you must:
- Contact Federal Student Aid’s Customer Service center at 1-800-433-3243,
- Update your username and password by selecting Edit My FSA ID, or
- Disable your FSA ID so that no one can use it by selecting Edit My FSA ID and selecting Disable My FSA ID.
How do I apply for an FSA ID?
If you do not already have an FSA ID and would like to apply for one, select the Create an FSA ID tab on the FSA ID log-in page.
The FSA ID Application Process consists of 3 steps:
Step 1: Enter Login Information
- Let us know what log-in information you would like to use. Provide us with a unique username, password and a response to "Are you 13 year of age or older?" Keep a note of your username and password so you can reference it when you need to use it in the future.
Step 2: Enter Personal Information
- Let us know who you are. Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth.
- (Optional) Include your mailing address, e-mail address and language preference.
- Provide five challenge questions and answers. This adds an extra level of security to your FSA ID. If you forget your username or password, you can retrieve your username or reset your password by providing answers to your challenge questions. Make sure to jot down your answers for these questions in case you need them in the future.
Step 3: Submit Your FSA ID Application
- Agree not to share your FSA ID with anyone. The security of your FSA ID is important because it can be used to electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents, access your personal records, and make binding legal obligations.
- (Optional) Verify your e-mail. By verifying your e-mail, you can use your e-mail as your username when logging into FSA applications.
Once we complete verification with the SSA (1-3 days), you will be able to use your FSA ID to access your personal information on Federal Student Aid websites.