Financial Aid & FAFSA Heading

Financial aid is money made available to a student to help fund his/her education. Financial aid includes grants, scholarships, work-study programs and student loans. Most often it is a combination of these funds that help fund a student's education.

Yes! The US Department of Education Office of Federal Student Aid maintains several websites and publications designed to assist you in learning more about financial aid programs and the application process. You can review their website for information and download helpful publications at:

You can apply for federal financial aid via the web at You can also visit to explore scholarship opportunities.

In order to be awarded federal financial aid we need to have a current FAFSA on file. If you have already submitted your FAFSA to a previous school you can just add Grand Valley State University to the "School Selection" section and resubmit. If you have not filled out a current FAFSA you will need to do so. To complete or update your FAFSA visit:



The school code for Grand Valley is 002268.

The FAFSA for the 2021-2022 academic year became available on October 1, 2020 and can be completed for the current 2021-22 academic year. The 2022-23 FAFSA is also available now and can be completed at any time to be considered for aid during the upcoming 2022-23 academic year. The priority deadline to file your FAFSA is March 1st each year, but a FAFSA can be filed at any point during the year.

Yes, it is required that a student complete a new FAFSA for each academic year. If you have completed a FAFSA before you can use the "FAFSA Renewal" option which pulls much of the information listed from your previous form to review and update for the new year.

The FAFSA looks at other criteria to determine if you are independent of your parents. You have to be able to answer "yes" to one of the questions below to be considered independent:

Will you turn 24 this current year? Are you working on a Masters's or Doctorate degree? Are you married? Do you have children or dependents that you support? Are you a U.S. veteran or actively serving? Are you or were you an orphan or ward of the court? As of today, are you an emancipated minor? As of today, are you in a legal guardianship? At any time on or after July 1, 2008, has it been determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?

If the answer is "no" to all of these questions then the parents MUST fill out the FAFSA form with the student. If the student can answer "yes" to one or more of these questions then the parents do not have to fill out the form. NOTE: If you select "yes" to one of the above questions, the Financial Aid Office may verify this information.

Yes. The IRS offers several ways families can offset education costs. For basic information review our summary of education tax credits. For more in-depth information, see Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, which can be obtained online at or by calling the IRS at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships can work with you to determine your options for financing your study abroad program. It's a good idea to discuss financial aid and study abroad at least one semester before your program begins. Please email us at [email protected] if you would like more information or to set up an appointment.

Page last modified February 19, 2021