Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
First time Direct Loan borrowers will need to complete both entrance counseling and a master promissory note through https://studentloans.gov/ before any loan funds will be disbursed to the university.
The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). Unless your school does not allow more than one loan to be made under the same MPN, you can borrow additional Direct Loans on a single MPN for up to 10 years.
The entire MPN process must be completed in a single session, so be sure you have enough time before you start. Each MPN generally takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Please allow 3-5 business days for the financial aid office to receive notification.
In this process, you will need the following information:
- Your personal identification number (PIN)
- Your social security number and birthdate
- Two references including their address and phone numbers
- You MUST sign in at studentloans.gov to complete your MPN
Complete Entrance Loan Counseling
Entrance loan counseling informs you of your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. It also explains interest rates and the different types of federal loans available. Grand Valley will receive notice that you have completed the requirements directly from Direct Loans. Please allow 3-5 business days for us to receive notification.
- Go to: studentloans.gov
- Login using your social security number and your federal PIN.
- Click on the Complete Entrance Counseling link on the homepage.
- Make sure to read the Helpful Hints before you begin.
- You must read the content and answer the questions. Each of the 16 sections must be done.
- If you do not complete the counseling prior to logging out of the studentloans.gov website your answers will not be saved. You will have to begin a new counseling session from Step 1. You also must complete the entrance counseling session within 30 minutes.
- Read the Borrowers Rights and Responsibilities.
- Be sure to print a copy for your records.