2020-2021 Academic Year
- Thesis Defense Announcement
- Who: Mary Kate Hoeve
- Title: Best Practice in Dementia Communication: Determining the effectiveness of pre-recorded, presentation-based learning for CNAs working in residential care facilities
- When: March 30, 2021 at 8:00 am
- Where: Virtually Via Zoom
- For more information: Defense Announcement Form
2019-2020 Academic Year
- Announcement of Thesis Proposal:
- Title: "Best Practice in Dementia Communication: Determining the effectiveness of presentation-based learning in residential care facilities"
- Who: Mary Kate Hoeve (SLP graduate student)
- For additional information view the formal announcement document (pdf)
2018-2019 Academic Year
- MIPERC's 2019 Outstanding Preceptor Awards were presented to Samantha Crimmins, M.A., CCC-SLP of Functional Kids Therapy, Rebecca Little of Ionia Area ISD, and Sarah Vomastek of Kalamazoo Regional Education Service Agency on September 20th at the 2019 MIPERC Conference.
- GVSU's Ann Jonker was accepted to participate in Camp Shout Out in Summer 2019. Read about her experience here.
- Our program has been awarded initial accreditation by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA), and is one of 7 programs found it be in full compliance with all Standards for Accreditation as a result of CAA's comprehensive review. Here is a link to the CAA newsletter: https://www.asha.org/enews/accreditationconnection.html?utm_source=asha&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_campaign=caa091118
- Camp Shout Out named Lakeshore Innovator of the Year: https://www.gvsu.edu/gvnext/2019/camp-shout-out-named-lakeshore-innovator-of-the-10962.htm?hitReferer=email
2017-2018 Academic Year:
- Karasinski, C., & Schmedding-Bartley, J. (2018). Graduate speech-language pathology students' initial self-perceptions of skills critical for interprofessional practice. Journal of Interprofessional Care. DOI: 10.1080/13561820.2017.1325860 (Link)
- Dr. Wil Rankinen, co-authoring with Dr. Aaron Albin, on "Geographic distribution of Finnish vs. Anglicized pronunciations of ‘sauna’ in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula" at the 2018 American Dialect Society in Salt Lake City, UT, January 7th, 2018 (Link | Slides).
- Congratulations to the December 2017 Cohort! Cording Ceremony video: www.gvsu.edu/csd/cordingceremony
- Dr. Dan Halling receives the 2017 Fellowship of the Association Award from ASHA.
- Eising, M., & Karasinski, C. (2017, November). Developmental kindergarten classroom intervention for positional & directional words. Poster presented at the American Speech Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention. Los Angeles, CA.
- Bartley, J., & Karasinski, C. (2017, November). CSD faculty perceptions of interprofessional education. Poster presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention. Los Angeles, CA.
- Karasinski, C., Ammon, A., Bierer, M., & Smith, M. (2017, November). Relations among microstructure, macrostructure, and 6-traits measures of narrative, expository, & persuasive writing. Seminar presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention. Los Angeles, CA.
- Wyatt Hawkins, Olivia Lawson, TJ Neuhaus and Dr. Wil Rankinen present "Linguistic diversity inside the post-secondary classroom" at GVSU's Teach-in: Power, Privilege and Difficult Dialogues, November 9, 2017 (Slides).
- Dr. Wil Rankinen invited to present on "The U.P. Dialect" at Finlandia University's Festival Ruska, Finnish American Heritage Center, September 27, 2017 (Link | Slides).
- GVSU CSD Department recognized as part of MIPERC receiving the 2017 Interdisciplinary Group Award received by the National Academies of Practice. http://www.asha.org/enews/accessacademics.html
- Dr. Wil Rankinen invited to present results from The Sauna Survey at the Sonderegger XVII Symposium, September 8, 2017 (Link | Slides).
- Dr. Wil Rankinen presents "Linguistic Diversity" at the College of Health Professions Fall Faculty Retreat 2017, August 22, 2017 (Slides).
- Dr. Karasinski and students present at the Symposium on Research in Child Language Disorders in Madison, WI (Bibliography, Abstract and Poster)
- Dr. Wil Rankinen presents "Linguistic Diversity II: Linguistic codes and social capital" at the College of Health Professions' Winter 2018 faculty meeting, March 29, 2018 (Slides).
2016-2017 Academic Year:
- Julianne Forsgard, a CSD undergrad, selected for ASHA's PROGENY program at the 2016 ASHA Convention; "Methods Observed in a School for Children With Disabilities in Ecuador"
- November 2016 ASHA Convention Presentations
- Drs. Bartley and Karasinski-2016 MIPERC Podium Presentation
- New Sociophonetic Reading Group (SRG) started! See the SRG page for further details.
- Dr. Wil Rankinen presents an invited talk for the Finnish American Society at the Coopersville Area District Library in Coopersville, MI.
- Dr. Wil Rankinen presents a poster at the 21st Mid-continental Phonetics & Phonology conference
- Dr. Rankinen awarded an external research grant from the National Finlandia Foundation in March, 2017.
- Dr. Rankinen, co-authoring with S. Bibyk (Vanderbilt Univeristy), W. Heeren (Utrecht University), A. Albin (Kobe University), A.P. Salverda, C. Gunlogson, & M.K. Tanenhaus (University of Rochester), selected to present a poster at the 30th CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing at MIT in Cambridge, MI on March 30th - April 1st, 2017 (Abstract and Poster)
- Dr. Karasinski's 2017 open access published article on reading predictors of engagement and achievement
- Dr. Karasinski's article published in Speech, Language, and Hearing
- Dr. Rankinen, co-authoring with CSD undergrads (Paige Cornillie, Julianne Forsgard, Samantha Gibbs, Delani Griffin and Olivia Lawson), selected to present two posters at the 173rd National Acoustical Society of America conference in Boston, MA on June 25-29, 2017 (Abstract 1 and Abstract 2)