Admission to the SLP Master's Program
GVSU offers two tracks for completion of a master’s degree in speech-language pathology.
- Track 1 is an intensive 16-month program leading to a Master of Science degree (i.e., 4 consecutive semesters). The length of the program may be more than four semesters for students who opt to complete a Thesis or in exceptional conditions when special accommodations are necessary. Students interested in pursuing Track 1 must complete a series of prerequisite courses at the undergraduate level.
- Track 2 is an admission program for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree in another field, and have not completed the prerequisite coursework in communication sciences and disorders.
The profession of speech-language pathology is a licensed field of practice that typically requires completion of a graduate degree from an accredited institution. It is not possible to become licensed as a speech-language pathologist without the graduate degree. Professional certification is also available to practitioners that demonstrate to the public that the speech-language pathologist has completed rigorous academic and clinical preparation and is considered competent to practice the profession. The master’s degree program at GVSU prepares students to qualify for licensure and validates that students have completed all academic preparation to qualify for national certification.
Questions about admissions can be directed to Ms. Josie Fowler, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about the program can be directed to Dr. Courtney Karasinski, email@example.com.
Admission to Program:
Admissions for Fall 2020 for the Track 1* and the Track 2** programs will be done through the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application System (CSDCAS).
CSDCAS must receive:
- online application
- official GRE Test Scores direct (school code: 2293)
- official transcripts
- Essential Functions Document-the completed/signed document needs to be attached to the Documents Section of the CSDCAS application
- Personal Statement
Completion of the Supplemental Form via the link provided:
- GVSU SLP Supplemental Form - http://gvsu.edu/s/0vi
Track 1: All documents must be received by CSDCAS and GVSU no later than January 15, 2020
Track 2: All documents must be received by CSDCAS and GVSU no later than April 1, 2020
*for students with a bachelor’s degree and all prerequisite coursework
**for students with a bachelor’s degree WITHOUT prerequisite coursework
All admissions materials, with the exception of the personal interview, must be received prior to the application deadline. of January 15th.
Questions about admissions and applications can be directed to Ms. Josie Fowler, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for Admission to the Speech-Language Pathology Master's Degree Program
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must satisfy both the general and the specific requirements:
Required for Track 1 and Track 2:
- Competitive GPA
- Competitive GRE scores
- Personal written statement
- Professional curriculum vitae and resume
- Our program does not require letters of recommendation
- Statistics course
- Biological Sciences course
- Physical Sciences course
- Two Psychological/Social Sciences courses
- Required program prerequisites coursework
- Attend personal interview (if invited)
Graduate Assistantships available by application. Questions regarding assistantships can be sent to Dr. Denise Ludwig, email@example.com
Statistics of Admitted Track 1 Students (previous admissions cycle):
Prerequisite SLP coursework GPA