Good sleep health is important for individuals to best achieve their personal, family, and professional goals. Sleep is a vital part of well-being, but how do we know if we are getting enough sleep and how do we increase sleep? If you spend more than 30 minutes trying to fall asleep or feel fatigued all day, it might be time to assess your sleep. Options to improve your sleep include:
- Exercise regularly throughout the week
- De-stress and wind down by avoiding stressful or stimulating tasks
- Reduce or eliminate blue light and separate screen time from sleep time.
- Select food and drinks that promote sleep (lean proteins, nuts, relaxing teas) and avoid heavy meals before bed
- Use a sleep diary to review patterns and make incremental changes
Check out more tips and tricks from the National Sleep Foundation.