Parking FAQ

Things You Need To Know

STUDENTS: Students may purchase temporary parking permits at the cost of $10.00 per day. One-day permits may be purchased same day on the Citizen Connect Parking Portal.  30-Day permits may be purchased at either Parking Services office.

GUESTS AND VISITORS: Guests and visitors may obtain a temporary, daily parking permit at no cost at either Parking Services office.


**Temporary permits are paperless and linked to a license plate, therefore, permits cannot be issued without a valid license plate number.

Permits are required in faculty/staff and student spaces during the following times:

Monday - Thursday: 3:00 AM - 6:30 PM

Friday: 3:00 AM - 5:00 PM

*Permits are required in specially designated spaces and Pew Resident spaces 24/7, year-round.

Parking on the sidewalk is not permitted.  Sidewalks are enforced 24/7. 

Overnight parking is limited to residential spaces only and is enforced year-round. A valid residential permit is required. Vehicles are NOT allowed to park in nonresidential lots, such as Student Commuter and Faculty/Staff.


If your vehicle breaks down and cannot be moved, you must notify Parking Services (during business hours) to obtain overnight parking privileges. Disabled vehicles must be removed within 24 hours or you are subject to receiving a parking violation.

Parking for Individuals with ADA Compliant Accommodations:  

A valid GVSU permit is required to accompany an ADA compliant placard or plate. If ADA parking spaces are not available, the ADA permit holder may park in a Faculty/Staff or Student parking space. Parking in any other space is prohibited. Parking in ADA compliant spaces in Pay-to-Park areas requires payment.

University-Issued ADA Compliance Permits:

Mobility impaired persons shall be issued, without charge, a temporary permit not to exceed three (3) days by Parking Services. This permit is not renewable.

To obtain a thirty (30) day permit, a written statement from a physician must be presented to Disability Support Resources. The statement must specifically state the need for ADA compliant parking and the time frame for which it is necessary. This permit is not renewable.

Those individuals needing ADA parking privileges beyond thirty (30) days must obtain a permit from the Michigan Secretary of State. If temporary ADA compliant parking accommodations are needed, contact Disability Resource Services at (616) 331-2490 or Parking Services at (616) 331-7275.

GVSU does not offer expectant mother parking.

Individuals with temporary mobility impairments as a result of pregnancy may obtain a temporary ADA placard once registered with and approved by Disability Support Resources


Payment is required in academic Pay-to-Park areas Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am - 6:30 pm and on Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. Pay-to-Park areas will accommodate parking at a rate of $2.50 per hour. All spaces in academic Pay-to-Park areas require payment, including ADA and motorcycle spaces.

  • Accepted payment methods:   Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Parkmobile

Additional Information:

  • Overnight parking (3:00 am - 6:00 am) is not permitted in pay-to-park areas
  • Permits are not valid in pay-to-park areas

Allendale Campus: Motorcycles and mopeds do not require a parking permit. Motorcycles MUST park on the yellow hash marks at the end of parking rows.

Pew Campus: Motorcycles and mopeds are accommodated in designated motorcycles spaces only. Locations can be found at the Eberhard Center loading dock, Seward Parking Ramp, Watson Lot and DeVos Lot. Pew Residents MUST park in the yellow hash marks at the end of parking rows in the Secchia Lot only. 

Health Campus: Motorcycles and mopeds must be parked in designated and signed motorcycle parking areas only.


Motorcycles are NOT allowed to park in the blue ADA reserved hash marks, in vehicle spaces, or in areas signed as prohibited.

Where are they located?

  • Allendale Campus: 
    • Lot F
    • Lot N.
  • Pew Campus:
    • Eberhard Lot
    • Seward Ramp first level
    • Seward Flat Lot
    • IDC Lot

What's required to use one of the spaces?

  • Vehicles must have a valid GVSU permit.
  • Vehicles must be actively charging.
  • 30 minutes will be given to move your vehicle once it is done charging or it will be subject to a parking violation.

** Guests must stop in to Parking Services for a temporary parking permit before parking and charging. **

For more information, please call Parking Services at 616-331-PARK.

Allendale Residents 

Call Housing and Residence Life at (616) 331-2120 to verify your vehicle's status . Specific Information will be requested (make, model, color and plate number of vehicle) and added to a list. The Associate Director will send this list to Parking Services. Once Parking Services receives the list, they will provide the student with an additional corresponding decal which identifies the ability to park in the Hybrid and Electric parking spaces. Hybrid and Electric Car spaces in Residential areas are reserved for residents only. These designated spaces require special permits. Guests may not park in these spaces regardless of day or time.


Faculty and Staff

Vehicles that utilize an alternative fuel or energy source (i.e. - E85 ethanol, battery-powered drive trains) are eligible for alternative fuel parking. The Faculty / Staff member will need to provide one of the two following pieces of documentation for a vehicle that utilizes power drive trains:

          Current proof of registration for a vehicle that utilizes E85 ethanol

          Receipt showing the purchase of E85 fuel within the last 30 days

Those wishing to register their vehicle will also need to bring in their current Faculty/Staff parking sticker in addition to the documentation listed above.

Virtual parking permits are transferable between vehicles. Please visit the Citizen Connect Portal to change the vehicle associated with your permit.

The person registered to the permit is responsible for all violations issued to the registered vehicle.

Students and Faculty/Staff are limited to one permit. Additional permits are NOT available for purchase.

Allendale Residents: If you live in Kirkpatrick, Stafford, Swanson, Seidman or Laker Village, you may call Parking Services (prior to pulling up) during business hours for drive-up privileges for a maximum of 15 minutes.  If you reside in other living centers on campus, you must utilize the 15 minute loading/unloading spaces or park in a residential space/lot. Residential 15 min loading/unloading spaces are enforced 24/7, year-round.

Calder Residents: You are required to park in a Calder Resident space and transport your items.

Pew Residents: All vehicles must be parked in marked spaces with a valid permit or utilize Pay-to-Park spaces. The Winter Circle Drive is for short-term stopping and someone  must  be with the vehicle and able to operate it at all times.


During the academic year, buses are permitted to park in Lot B-2.
During the summer, buses are permitted to park in Lot B-2 and the west portion of Lot H.


Bus parking is not allowed on the Grand Rapids Campuses. Buses are encouraged to park next to the Ford Museum on the street.


IMPORTANT!  Unauthorized or improper use of a permit may result in disciplinary action or a referral to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).  

Do you have questions about permits? We have your answers! Parking Permits Q&A

Page last modified January 4, 2023