Sep 8, 2021
Academic Conference Fund
For Graduate Students
Conference Travel During the COVID19 Pandemic
Students are encouraged to review the Lakers Together website for information on GVSU's plans for maintaining a safe and healthy environment.
You may apply for ACF funds to pay for registration for conferences held virtually.
The purpose of the graduate academic conference fund is to provide grants to support student presentations at academic conferences by offsetting the cost of travel and attendance. Awards of up to $600.00 (up to $800.00 for international travel) will be given to those invited to present or perform at a conference/meeting.
Please allow 10 business days for grant application review.
Funding eligibility is open to all graduate students who
- Are the primary presenter (listed first in proof of acceptance) of research* at a professional conference, or whose creative work* is accepted for an exhibition or performance at a recognized event.
- Should multiple students submit for the same presentation only the student named first in the proof of acceptance will be considered for funding.
- * "Research" and "creative work" refer to that which was done as part of the student's graduate program
- Have the written support from a faculty member who can attest to the quality of the student’s work or the academic benefit of attending the conference/meeting
- Are in good academic standing with the University
- Are current graduate students, or recent graduates (within two semesters) whose research was accepted for presentation prior to graduation.
If travel is between:
July 1 - September 30
October 1 - December 31
January 1 - March 31
April 1 - June 30
You should apply starting:
Please review the University Business Travel Guidance before applying for the ACF.
Students may be awarded only one conference grant during their graduate academic career at GVSU.
Applications will be accepted on a per quarter basis for the July 1-June 30 fiscal year until each quarter's funds are depleted. Awards will be funded in the order they are received.
For reimbursement after the conference the student must do the following:
- Please review the Travel and Expense page on the Business and Finance website.
- All travel reimbursement requests are handled via the Concur system. All receipts may be emailed to the Graduate School for reimbursement. In the email, please include your name, Gnumber, address to send the check, with a summary of your expenses and total amount to be reimbursed. Attach scanned, LEGIBLE copies of all receipts. If you have an email confirmation/receipt, please forward the entire email. Do not take screen shots of just the payment sections of the email as the information needs to be validated.
Students who may have a hardship in waiting for a reimbursement may contact us prior to travel at email@example.com with an explanation of your circumstances.
If a student is unable to attend the conference, the student must inform the Graduate School at least five business days before the date of planned departure. The student may forfeit any nonrefundable deposit and will be ineligible for reimbursement of any expenses already incurred.