Academic Conference Fund
For Graduate Students
The purpose of the graduate academic conference fund is to provide grants to support student presentations at academic conferences by offsetting the cost of travel and attendance. Awards of up to $600.00 (up to $800.00 for international travel) will be given to those invited to present or perform at a conference/meeting.
Please allow 10 business days for grant application review.
Funding eligibility is open to all graduate students who
- Are the primary presenter (listed first in proof of acceptance) of research* at a professional conference, or whose creative work* is accepted for an exhibition or performance at a recognized event.
- Should multiple students submit for the same presentation only the student named first in the proof of acceptance will be considered for funding.
- * "Research" and "creative work" refer to that which was done as part of the student's graduate program
- Have the written support from a faculty member who can attest to the quality of the student’s work or the academic benefit of attending the conference/meeting
- Are in good academic standing with the University
- Are current graduate students, or recent graduates (within two semesters) whose research was accepted for presentation prior to graduation.
If travel is between:
July 1 - September 30
October 1 - December 31
January 1 - March 31
April 1 - June 30
You should apply starting:
Students may be awarded only one conference grant during their graduate academic career at GVSU.
Applications will be accepted on a per quarter basis for the July 1-June 30 fiscal year until each quarter's funds are depleted. Awards will be funded in the order they are received.
For reimbursement after the conference the student must submit to The Graduate School within 10 business days from the last day of the conference the following typed forms:
- Follow the Travel Form Instructions
- Complete the appropriate Travel and Expense Form found on GVSU's Business and Finance webpage (the FIRST "Excel file to fill out and print" listed on the page)
- Review the T&E EXAMPLE for more instructions on how to complete the form
Grand Valley State University complies with the IRS regulations on reimbursements. Please be sure to review the GVSU Travel Policy and Procedures.
Students who may have a hardship in waiting for a reimbursement may contact us prior to travel at email@example.com with an explanation of your circumstances.
If a student is unable to attend the conference, the student must inform the Graduate School at least five business days before the date of planned departure. The student may forfeit any nonrefundable deposit and will be ineligible for reimbursement of any expenses already incurred.