Oldenburg Writing Contest
Named in honor of former department member E. William Oldenburg, the contest offers GVSU students first- place prizes of $50 and second- and third-place prizes of $25 in each of the following categories. Apply online now.
- Personal, analytical, or persuasive essay written by a freshman.
- Personal essay written by a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Analytical or persuasive essay written by a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Poetry written by any GVSU undergraduate student. A small portfolio of three to five poems would be an appropriate entry. A single poem normally would not be considered.
- Fiction written by any GVSU undergraduate student. One short story per entrant.
- Drama written by any GVSU undergraduate student. One short play per entrant.
- Essay, poetry, fiction, or drama written by a GVSU graduate student.
- Entries must have been written while enrolled at GVSU.
One entry maximum per category. Writing previously submitted to the contest is not eligible.
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced and submitted with a
- title of the work
- category entered (please specify graduate or undergraduate)
- contestant’s name and student ID
- address, phone number, and e-mail from March through May
- Place contestant’s name on the cover-sheet only, not on
- All winners who have been or currently are a student employee at
GVSU must complete an I-9 Form. Forms may be obtained and turned
into Student Employment (100 STU).
- Entries accepted online anytime through Wednesday, March 14th, 2018, at www.gvsu.edu/english .