LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Master of Arts in English
Admissions, Costs, and Assistantships
University Requirements for Graduate Study
The Graduate School at GVSU requires the following for admission:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission;
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (waived if you have previously applied to Grand Valley and paid the fee);
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley;
- Test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) for applicants whose native language is not English. The following minimum scores are expected: TOEFL is 80, IELTS is 6.5, and MELAB is 77.
English Department Requirements
Requirements for consideration of admission into the program are as follows:
- A completed graduate application;
- A writing sample;
- eight pages (minimum) to twenty pages (maximum)
- demonstrates a fully-developed literary-critical argument, including close reading, analytical thinking, an effective use of scholarly sources, and coherent writing
- A personal statement;
- 250-500 words
- Describes interests, academic preparation, and future educational and/or professional goals as they pertain to the study of literature.
- Contact information for three people who can assess the applicant's academic preparation.
Please note: Pending approval from the M.A. English program, a maximum of 9 graduate credits earned prior to admissions to the M.A. English program may apply to degree requirements. Contact the Program Director should this note apply to you.
The English M.A program has a rolling admissions process, so applications will be reviewed as received. However, to be guaranteed consideration for a specific semester, applications must be received by the following dates:
- No later than March 15th for Spring/Summer Semester
- No later than July 15th for Fall Semester
- No later than November 15th for Winter Semester
The English department currently has two G.A. openings available and are looking for hard-working, motivated English students to fill them. This is a half-time position (ten hours per week), with beginning and ending dates corresponding with the academic year, August 26 through April 25. This assistantship is open only to students who have been admitted to the English M.A. Program and who enroll in a minimum of five credit hours each semester. It includes a tuition waiver for 4.5 graduate credit hours and a stipend of $2,000 for each semester. See below:
- Graduate Assistantship - ENG 495 Assistant (PDF)
- Graduate Assistantship - Communications Assistant (PDF)
For more information on tuition and fees, please visit the costs portion of the GVSU Financial Aid website. For financial support, scholarship search, and filing for FAFSA, please visit the GVSU Financial Support website. Note: Grand Valley does not charge a higher tuition rate based on residency. Tuition is based on the program in which you enroll.