Adult Learning Opportunities at Grand Valley
Whether your goal is the pursuit of knowledge, development of new skills, or advancement in your career, GVSU programs will help you achieve your next goal for career success. In addition, we offer programs in a variety of formats, designed to meet the needs of busy professionals and adult learners
How Will You Benefit?
Individuals with graduate degrees have unique access to opportunities for:
Recognition & Credibility
Why Choose GVSU?
GVSU graduates drive innovation within their chosen fields, benefiting from graduate programs designed around:
Real-world research opportunities
Diversity & Inclusion
College of Education and Community Innovation - Graduate Programming
Local learning. Worldwide impact.
There are many important reasons to pursue a graduate degree from GVSU's College of Education and Community Innovation (CECI). Whether your reason is to qualify for new opportunities, seek professional renewal and development, or move up the salary schedule, our broad selection of programs has the right fit for you. CECI can provide you with the additional support you need to give every child's brilliance a place to shine.
In addition to graduate degrees, CECI also offers endorsements at the graduate level for educators who already hold a Michigan Teaching Certificate.
About the GVSU LEADS Program
A Degree Made for You
GVSU's online accelerated bachelor's degree for adult students is a fast-paced, accelerated, online program designed specifically for working adults like you. While there is no such thing as a typical student, this program is perfect for students 24+ years old with two or more years of work experience, the ability to do college-level work online, and the motivation to change their lives for the better.
In addition to the bachelor's degree in integrative studies, you will earn a certificate in one of these in-demand skills:
- Business Fundamentals (NEW) - Helps you develop financial and accounting acumen, as well as better understand the fundamentals of the human side of business and organizational operations. You will build the knowledge and skills necessary to better understand and manage in your organization. Skills developed include analyzing financial statements and performance, creating operating budgets, managing and motivating others, and analyzing and using marketing information.
- Project management - Integrates industry-proven project management practices with Agile principles. Students work in small teams to effectively initiate, plan, execute, control, and bring closure to real-world project(s) using MS Project and other enterprise project management software.
- Applied data analytics - Focuses on understanding how to interpret, use, and apply data and statistics in the workplace. Students learn foundational computing and statistical skills like visualization, predictive analytics tools, and computer coding in Python and R.
- Leadership - Focuses on social change and business communication and includes further exploration into organizational theory, team building, design thinking, and grant writing. Students will develop professional skills that employers are looking for such as team building and ethics.
- Intercultural Communications - Prepares you with skills in effective communication within and across diverse international organizations by focusing on intercultural learning and competence in the global workplace.
These certificates are also available on their own. You can find out more on this page.
- GV's investment in your success: Try it. Like it. We'll reimburse the cost of your first completed course to apply to a future one. That's how confident we are in the program -- and in you.
- Flexibility that fits your life: With classes offered primarily online, you can complete coursework when and where it's most convenient for you. You can also choose a combination of electives from several disciplines to build skills relevant to your personal and professional goals.
- Personalized support: Before you even start, get a tailored academic and career plan from your advisor. Your advisor will also help connect you to internship opportunities and help you think about how your degree will connect to your career goals. Program staff helps you work closely with the Career Center to help prepare you for whatever your next step is. Although the majority of classes are online, we're just a phone call away. We also have convenient satellite locations in Traverse City, Detroit, Holland, and Grand Rapids.
- Transfer credit opportunities: You will receive credit for previous coursework and military experience.
- Bachelor's and beyond: Whether it's your master's degree, your next certificate, or a badge, all Grand Valley alumni can take advantage of the Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account. L3 offers important financial resources, alumni networking, and career coaching.
The Graduate School at GVSU
Each of GVSU's graduate programs offers the connections, experiences, and superior value you need to open more doors, create more opportunities, and set yourself apart. Whether your goal is the pursuit of knowledge, development of new skills, or advancement in your career, our programs will help you achieve your next goal for career success. In addition, GV offers programs in a variety of formats, designed to meet the needs of busy professionals and adult learners.
The Graduate School at GVSU offers over 40 masters, doctoral and certificate programs. This podcast series is an ongoing project that aims to provide prospective and current students with information about the programs and services available to them in a unique and engaging manner. Please listen and enjoy.
Click Here to access these resourceful podcasts.
Masters and Doctoral Degrees
Full listing of graduate programs, where students gain a competitive advantage with GVSU’s quality degrees in graduate education.
Military and Veterans Resource Center
GVSU's path to better communities, companies, and country is to fully support student veterans.
Grand Valley understands that service members and their families have unique needs and responsibilities when it comes to starting, earning, and completing their degrees. Veteran-specific resources are offered an integrated support system that guides these students to graduation. GV believes that military veterans are one of the greatest untapped resources for the benefit of companies, nonprofits, and government organizations. GVSU also believe that veterans are the way to stronger, safer, more innovative communities and country. The university is dedicated to being veteran-inclusive and has created a comprehensive program that helps veterans feel supported and connected all the way through graduation and beyond.
GVSU's Veteran Promise
GVSU will Save You a Spot
If you’re a 2021 graduating Michigan high school senior and you’ve enlisted in the military, we have a groundbreaking way of saying ‘thank you.’ GVSU is the first and only university in the country to reward your military service this way.
If you have committed to serving our country for at least two years and are a 2021 Michigan high school graduate, GVSU offers pre-approved admission deferred until you’re ready. Your willingness to make a commitment to your country means something, and the least we can do is to eliminate the worry about being accepted to college.
There is no obligation or cost to participate and no pre-enrollment is necessary. Your admission to Grand Valley is granted and reserved once you’re ready to begin.
GVSU’s Veterans Network
GVSU’s Veterans Network is committed to the continued success of our students. GV's Veterans Network provides support for veterans, active service members, and dependents in transitioning, successfully progressing to degree completion, and on to rewarding post-military careers.
Veterans Network Goals:
- Assist with the transition from military to student roles, including participation in the Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE) program.
- Provide assistance for the GI Bill © and other Veterans' educational benefits.
- Provide support through programs, activities, and initiatives that connect veterans with one another.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for veterans, including a Student Veterans' Lounge in Kirkhof Center.
- Assist with preparation for post-military employment or graduate studies.
- Provide pathways to inform and share information regarding on- and off-campus opportunities for veterans.
- Create opportunities for peer interaction.
- Provide and share useful information on Veterans Network website and Facebook page.
- Our Criminal Justice department offers an accelerated Military Police Basic Training Program (MPBTP) for eligible Military Police with a minimum of 2080 hours in a specified law enforcement occupational specialty.
- The Center for Adult and Continuing Studies offers accelerated bachelor's degree in Leadership.
The College of Education and Community Innovation offers opportunities to pursue a Master's in Education in a variety of areas, as well as an Educational Specialist in Leadership degree and a Ph.D. in Educational Leadership (in partnership with Eastern Michigan University).
This intensive, one-year, full-time teacher training program is designed for adults who hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college and who already have, or are willing to acquire, a "teachable" major (and possibly a teachable minor) prior to joining the program.
The College of Education and Community Innovation offers endorsements at the graduate level for students who already hold a Michigan Teaching Certificate.
Completion of a graduate certificate does not result in teaching certification or lead to an additional endorsement for students who already hold a Michigan Teaching Certificate