BCPS-GVSU Health and Teacher Education Pipeline Scholarship
The Pipeline Scholarship stems from a 2019 partnership among Grand Valley, Battle Creek Public Schools, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to transform education in the district.
The purpose of the Pipeline Scholarship Program is to provide financial assistance to Battle Creek Central High School graduates who intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree in either Nursing, Health Professions, or Teacher Education and encourage recipients to pursue experiential learning and career opportunities in Battle Creek.
Pipeline Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Students must be graduating seniors from Battle Creek Central High School.
- Students must be admitted into Grand Valley State University.
- Students must declare an undergraduate major in Teacher Education, Nursing, or Health Professions.
- Students must be enrolled full-time (12 or more credits per semester) at GVSU.
- Students must complete at least one internship in Battle Creek.
Financial need may be considered and shall be demonstrated by the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This scholarship may be awarded to an individual for a maximum of eight semesters and may be renewed without reapplication provided the recipient continues to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
Pipeline Scholarship Value
Each scholarship covers the following costs for a total of eight (8) semesters of full-time undergraduate study including:
- Cost of tuition and fees per semester (12 - 15 credit hours per semester)
- Cost of housing and dining- either:
- Traditional-Style Double Room at Grand Valley State University (Kistler, Copeland & Robinson Halls) and 14+ meal plan (14 meals per week, including $225 dining dollars)
- OR the equivalent of $4,850 based on 22/23 academic year pricing
- Book Stipend per semester up to $700 per year
Pipeline Scholarship Benefits
As a recipient of this scholarship, students are a part of the Pipeline Scholarship Program. This support program serves to provide resources to support students' overall success at GVSU.
The following resources are provided in this program:
- Mentorship: Each new student is partnered with a GVSU mentor. Through this mentorship, students will develop their skills and experiences, by acclimating more to GVSU along with preparing them for their future careers.
- Events: Students will participate in program events on-campus or in Battle Creek throughout the year to connect with each other.
- Advising: Students will meet with on-campus Career Navigator on a regular basis to engage in reflections on their learning, progress, and overall experience at GVSU.
To complete the application, log in to GVSU's scholarship database "myScholarships". You must be admitted to GVSU before completing the scholarship application. You will log in using your GVSU login information. As a reminder, before logging into myScholarships, please make sure that you have completed your FAFSA. Once logged in, myScholarships will prompt you to answer questions that will match you to the BCPS Health and Teacher Education Pipeline Scholarship application. After you have answered the prompted questions and are matched to the scholarship, you will need to complete a short essay to complete the application. The essay prompt is: "Please tell us about your career goals and why remaining connected to Battle Creek is important to you?"
Scholarship Deadline: March 1st
Questions? The Battle Creek Regional Outreach Center is here to help you! If you would like to schedule an appointment for assistance, please contact our Career Navigators Sara Reed ([email protected]) or Estefany Paniagua-Pardo ([email protected])
Additional Pipeline Scholarship Information
Peer Mentorship Program
The Peer Mentoring Program is a year-long program that assists the Pipeline Scholarship program in adding an extra layer of support for students during their path to graduation at Grand Valley State University. Incoming freshmen are paired with returning Pipeline Scholars (Peer mentors). Peer mentors serve in a unique position in the Mentorship Program, providing mentorship to incoming GVSU-BCPS Pipeline Scholars, while simultaneously receiving mentorship from GVSU faculty or staff if desired
Peer Mentors assist new students in navigating the university, campus involvement, and also collaborate in setting goals. Goals may be related to personal, academic, or career development.
Meet the Peer Mentors
Alaysha Cannon, Cohort 2
Nani Leakehe, Cohort 2
Jonah Hurtado-Macias, Cohort 1
Darryl Gee, Cohort 1
Jacob Avalos, Cohort 1
Jose Hernandez-Chavez, Cohort 1
Students credit Battle Creek Pipeline Program with helping them transition to college life
"Lalro Mawii was one of 12 students from Battle Creek Central High School selected last year for the Battle Creek Public Schools Health and Teacher Education Pipeline Scholarship program. Now in the program's third year, students will receive funding to cover tuition, fees, housing, and dining, plus a book stipend for eight semesters".
Learn more by reading this GV Forum article.
Battle Creek high school students earn scholarships through W.K. Kellogg Partnership
Six high school seniors from Battle Creek interested in pursuing education, nursing or health professions received scholarships to attend Grand Valley in fall 2020 through a partnership among the university, Battle Creek Public Schools and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
Learn more by reading this GV Next article.