The Master in Athletic Training (MAT) program at GVSU includes both didactic coursework and clinical experiences structured around a cohort of 24 students per year. The program is designed to engage students in collaborative assignments and projects, common intellectual experiences, a diverse learning environment, and community-based learning; in direct alignment with the University's core value of integrating liberal learning with professional development. Students will be required to complete collaborative projects within the curriculum and have an opportunity to experience becoming producers of research through their graduate project.
- Applications are due by October 15th (Applications submitted by the due date will be given preference. Those submitted after the due date will be considered, upon availability). It is encouraged that applicants apply 4-6 week prior to application deadline to allow for processing.
- Applicants will be notified by November 15th for an online (video conference) interview.
- Online interviews will take place November 15th - December 15th.
- All applicants will be notified regarding acceptance by January 15th.
- Completion of Prerequisite courses. All prerequisites must be taken for letter grades. For each course, a grade of C or higher is required with an average of a 3.0 in all required pre-requisite coursework. The prerequisites and undergraduate degree must be completed by the first day of classes of the professional program.
- Demonstration of effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform all technical standards (essential functions) of the athletic training program.
- Submission of the following materials under: ATCAS, GVSU Requirements and International Students
Athletic Training Centralized Application Service (ATCAS)
- ATCAS online application and fees ($85.00 for first school application and $45.00 for each additional school application)
- Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended; minimum 3.00 cumulative & prerequisite GPA required. For further information on transcript(s) submission, please go to ATCAS Applicant Help Center.
- Resume/CV and Personal Statement.
- Two Recommendation Forms - submit the names and email addresses of two references on the ATCAS electronic application (under evaluations). At least one must be a licensed athletic trainer with whom you have worked/job shadowed/volunteered. All references will complete and return the electronic form to ATCAS.
- Documentation of volunteer/ work/job shadow AT hours on the ATCAS application– minimum of 75 hours required. Please use the ‘GVSU AT Hour Verification Form’. This is not required by/for GVSU admissions.
- Completion of writing sample (located within ATCAS, under Questions)
- Healthcare Provider CPR/AED and First Aid certifications
- Electronic copies or a photocopy (scanned and uploaded within ATCAS, under documents) of the front and back of your card(s). Certifications must be from the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. CPR/AED cards must be the equivalent for the professional rescuer or basic life support. First Aid cards must be the equivalent of Responding to Emergencies. Any other certifications will not be accepted (e.g. lifeguard). The course must have hands-on participation - no online only course accepted.
- GVSU Athletic Training Supplemental Form
- $30 application fee (not required for those who previously paid - one-time application fee)
International Students only (in addition to the ATCAS & GVSU requirements)
- Must submit proof of English language proficiency.
- Official TOEFL test score (minimum 610 (paper-based) or 253 (computer-based) or 102 (internet-based) score required) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5 or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) score of 77 or PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic) score of 53.
- Original or certified original transcripts with official credentialed evaluations (e.g., WES, ECE)
- Statement of financial support (refer to GVSU Athletic Training Supplemental Form)
- Test scores and documents must be sent directly to GVSU’s Admissions Office at 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401-9403