LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
The Master in Athletic Training (MAT) program at GVSU includes both didactic coursework and clinical experiences structured around a cohort of 24 students per year. The program is designed to engage students in collaborative assignments and projects, common intellectual experiences, a diverse learning environment, and community-based learning; in direct alignment with the University's core value of integrating liberal learning with professional development. Students will be required to complete collaborative projects within the curriculum and have an opportunity to experience becoming producers of research through their graduate project.
- Applications are due by October 15th (Applications verified by the due date will be given preference. Those verified after the due date will be considered, upon availability). It is encouraged that applicants submit their applications for the verification process 4-6 weeks (September 1) prior to the application deadline to allow for processing.
- Applicants will be notified by November 15th for an online (video conference) interview.
- Online interviews will take place between November 15th - December 15th.
- All applicants will be notified regarding acceptance by January 15th.
**ATCAS Special Note: ATCAS runs on cycles. In the first week of June, their system closes, performs program updates, and opens for the next academic cohort around June 27. Applicants should only submit applications for the current year they wish to apply. It is recommended that you start entering your information starting July 1 of the current year you are applying to. This will ensure only entering information once. Example: If wishing to apply by October 15, 2020 - start the application July 1, 2020.
- Completion of prerequisite courses.
- All prerequisites must be equivalent to GVSU courses, if from another college or university.
- All prerequisites must be taken for letter grades.
- For each course, a grade of C or higher is required with an average of a 3.0 in all required prerequisite coursework.
- The prerequisites and undergraduate degree must be completed before the first day of classes of the professional program. You can be in the process of completing your prerequisites. The prerequisites and undergraduate degree must be completed before the first day of classes of the professional program. You would be a conditional admit, meaning you will be admitted as long as you finish the prerequisite requirements.
- Demonstration of effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform all technical standards (essential functions) of the athletic training program.
- Review the GVSU MAT Graduate Student Handbook.
- Submission of the following materials under: ATCAS, GVSU Requirements, and International Students
***GVSU MAT program has made the decision to drop the Observation requirement for the 2020-2021 application cycle. This is due to a recent update from the Ottawa County Health Department requiring GVSU students "in Allendale Township to remain in their on-campus or off-campus housing except to attend class, utilize food services, obtain groceries or medicine and medical care, for worship and religious practices, intercollegiate medically supervised athletic practices, or for employment". We will not change this until the next application cycle (2021-2022). Any hours you have obtained contributed to helping you make your decision to pursue a career in Athletic Training and helps you decide what setting you might want to specialize in, in the future. If you have already uploaded hours or want to add any hours you have already obtained feel free to, but do not seek out any additional hours after 9/16/2020.***
Athletic Training Centralized Application Service (ATCAS)
- ATCAS online application and fees ($85.00 for first school application and $50.00 for each additional school application)
- Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended; minimum 3.00 cumulative & prerequisite GPA required. For further information on transcript(s) submission, please go to ATCAS Applicant Help Center.
- Resume/CV and Personal Statement.
- Two Recommendation Forms - submit the names and email addresses of two references on the ATCAS electronic application (under evaluations). At least one must be a licensed athletic trainer with whom you have worked/job shadowed/volunteered. All references will complete and return the electronic form to ATCAS.
- Documentation of volunteer/work/job shadow AT hours on the ATCAS application– a minimum of 75 hours required. Please use the ‘GVSU AT Hour Verification Form’. This is not required by/for GVSU admissions.
- Completion of two writing samples (located within ATCAS, under Questions)
- Healthcare Provider CPR/AED and First Aid certifications
- Electronic copies or a photocopy (scanned and uploaded within ATCAS, under documents) of the front and back of your card(s). Certifications must be from the American Red Cross (preferred) or American Heart Association. CPR/AED cards must be the Basic Life Support Certification. First Aid cards must be the equivalent of Responding to Emergencies. Any other certifications will not be accepted (e.g. lifeguard). The course must have hands-on participation - no online-only course accepted.
- Complete the GVSU Athletic Training Supplemental Form to apply to GVSU Graduate School (ATCAS is for the MAT Program only).
- $30 application fee (not required for those who previously paid - one-time application fee)
International Students only (in addition to the ATCAS & GVSU requirements)
- Must submit proof of English language proficiency.
- Official TOEFL test score (minimum 610 (paper-based) or 253 (computer-based) or 102 (internet-based) score required) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5 or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) score of 77 or PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic) score of 53.
- Original or certified original transcripts with official credentialed evaluations (e.g., WES, ECE)
- Statement of financial support (refer to GVSU Athletic Training Supplemental Form)
- Test scores and documents must be sent directly to GVSU’s Admissions Office at 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401-9403