College Credit for High School Students


Dual enrollment is an opportunity for students to get started on their college coursework before graduating high school, which saves them time and money.

Some high school students may be eligible for enrollment in Grand Valley courses while completing high school graduation requirements. Admission will be based upon:

  • Your status as a high school junior or senior.
  • A completed non-degree seeking application.
  • A high school transcript indicating cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
  • A completed dual enrollment form with all the required signatures.

Students are limited to enrollment in two classes per semester while in high school, and must meet with an admissions recruiter prior to enrolling in Grand Valley courses each semester. Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in each dual enrollment class if they wish to continue taking dual enrollment courses at GVSU.

Apply for Dual Enrollment


Call us at (616) 331-2025 or email [email protected] to talk with an admissions recruiter.


Follow these steps to become a dual enrolled student at GVSU.

  1. Have a conversation with your high school counselor to determine which courses may be the best fit for your academic goals. You may also want to discuss the cost of tuition and how college classes would impact your high school graduation requirements. We suggest that you do not overburden yourself with a level of work that will interfere with your high school experience. Dual enrollment is intended to supplement (not replace) high school.
  2. Complete a High School Dual Enrollment Nondegree Application
  3. Within 24 hours of submitting the online application, you'll receive an email with instructions to set up your GVSU Applicant Portal, where you can view any outstanding application requirements and check the status of your application.
  4. Complete the Dual Enrollment Form, with all required signatures, and upload it through your Applicant Portal. 
  5. Once you're approved to dual enroll, we will contact you to schedule an appointment with an admissions recruiter to sign up for your course(s).

You must complete the above steps each semester for which you want to dual enroll at GVSU.

Note: if a student has earned college credit or a post-secondary award prior to the student graduating high school or at the same time as high school graduation, then the student would be considered a First Year student in the fall. This would include Dual Enrollment students and Early/Middle College students.


To find the cost of a class, multiply the tuition rate by the number of credits. You will be responsible for all registration and course fees. 


Fall and winter semesters last for 15 weeks. The fall semester runs from late August to mid-December. The winter semester runs from early January to late April. There is also a 12-week spring/summer semester that runs from mid-May to early August. Some classes will be more intensive six-week courses. Please visit the academic calendar for more information.


You must follow regular admission application procedures. This includes completing the degree-seeking undergraduate application and submitting updated high school transcripts. You are also required to attend Orientation to register for freshman classes and meet all other freshman deadlines.


At the collegiate level, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 governs accommodations for students with disabilities. Students must disclose their disability and provide the necessary disability-related documentation to the Disability Support Resources (DSR) office in order to receive accommodations.

The process for obtaining reasonable accommodations in dual enrollment courses taught at the university or with GVSU instructors include the following:

  • The student must  register with the Disability Resources office (DSR) to start the interactive process by accessing the application function through Disability Support Resources - Grand Valley State University ( Once the application for services is received, the student will receive contact from our office to schedule an appointment. Some services take time to implement; therefore, contact should be initiated with the DSR office in anticipation that the student may ultimately enroll in any program or class.
  • Colleges will not provide accommodations if the accommodations would substantially alter the essential elements of a course. It is possible that accommodations available to a student in the high school setting will not be allowed in college-level classes. Please review this K-12 transition information.
  • College credits earned through a dual enrollment option become part of a student’s college transcript and may be transferable to other colleges. For that reason, a course taken for college credit must maintain the integrity and fidelity of college-level work.

Page last modified December 13, 2023