LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
GVSU Workplace Technology and Communication Badge
This badge (not a degree or certificate) in Workplace Technology and Communication gives students much-needed workplace communication skills such as designing effective business documents, recognizing business communication ethical issues, using statistical analysis tools for effective decision making, and creating effective data displays and visualizations. Students earn this badge by successfully completing WRT 350 Business Communication and CIS 231 Problem Solving Using Spreadsheets. By completing this badge, students will have completed problem-solving projects that demonstrate the following competencies:
- Composing business communications appropriate to specific audiences, purposes, and contexts.
- Designing effective business documents using commonly available office software.
- Communicating effectively in emails, written reports, and oral presentation.
- Recognizing ethical issues related to business communication.
- Building and manipulating Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
- Using applicable statistical analysis tools for effective decision making.
- Designing data models using local decision-making functions.
- Building datasets by importing, cleansing, and organizing raw data.
- Creating effective data displays and visuals, using commonly available office software.
A digital badge, or simply "badge," is a credential that recognizes your completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. A badge allows you to promote academic achievements online more effectively and in different venues than would be possible with a transcript. For example, you could link your digital badge to your LinkedIn profile. Unlike certificates or minors that are granted only after you complete your Bachelor's degree, the badge is granted as soon as you complete the badge requirements and apply to receive the badge. This means that in as little as 4-6 months, you can have earned this credential, enhancing your professional dossier and making you more competitive to prospective employers.
Requirements for the Workplace Technology and Communication Badge
The digital badge is comprised of two courses (6 credits). Required coursework includes
- CIS 231: Problem Solving Using Spreadsheets (3 credits)*
- WRT 350: Business Communication (3 credits)**
(*Prerequisite of MTH 110, MTH 115, MTH 122, or MTH 201; **Prerequisite of WRT 150 Strategies in Writing)
Attend Grand Valley State University as a degree-seeking or non-degree seeking student.
Issuing of Badge
Once you have completed the courses for the Workplace Technology and Communication Badge with passing grades, please email the WRT Department Chair, Christopher Toth, who will verify your completion and issue your digital badge on Acclaim.
Acclaim is the badging platform that is used to store, display, share, and manage digital badges earned at GVSU. Once approved by the WRT Department Chair, you will receive an email from Acclaim and will be prompted to create an account. Once issued by the department, the badge will be publicly available on your profile. Acclaim displays not only the badge icon but provides additional metadata that describes the accomplishment and the criteria that the earner was required to meet. Acclaim is free to use and it makes it easy to share badges with individuals and post to personal websites or social media platforms such as LinkedIn.