There are two scholarships available to Writing majors: The Writing Major Scholarship and The Jurries Family Scholarship.
The Writing Major Scholarship
The Writing Major Scholarship* is funded from contributions by Writing Department faculty, staff, and alumni. The scholarship is intended to support talented upper-level Writing majors who demonstrate both writing excellence and financial need. This scholarship is offered every year.
To apply, submit a portfolio of your writing. The portfolio should include no more than 25 pages that demonstrate a breadth of writing genres. All genres are welcome (e.g., fiction, nonfiction, drama, poems, brochures, analytical essays, web pages, business documents, etc.) Excerpts of writing samples are acceptable. Please provide URL for digital multimedia projects.
Please also include a one- to two-page reflective cover letter that introduces and contextualizes the pieces in the portfolio for the committee. This letter should also discuss your strengths as a writer. The pieces in the portfolio should demonstrate the argument made in the cover letter.
The following criteria will be used to judge the portfolios:
- Quality of reflective cover letter
- Strength of writing samples
- Financial need
Candidates and/or recipients, as applicable, for this scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Be entering their senior year (have completed at least 85 credits).
- Be enrolled with full-time status as a degree-seeking student.
- Have declared a major in Writing.
- Have an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better (4.0 system) and a 3.5 GPA in Writing major courses.
- Demonstrate financial need by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be on file in GVSU's Financial Aid Office.
- Submit a portfolio that includes a cover letter and writing samples (maximum 25 pages).
[Note: Candidates must be accepted by Grand Valley State University for enrollment or be attending the University to be eligible to receive this scholarship.]
To apply and submit your materials, please log onto MyScholarships.
* Applications are due on or before MARCH 1.
The Jurries Family Scholarship
The Jurries Family Scholarship* was created by Jim and Ginger Jurries of Holland, Michigan. Jim, a graduate of Hope College, has been a leader in the business community, and Ginger has been a writer since her Hope College days when she majored in English. They believe that education is the pathway to freedom, creativity, and productivity. The Jurries Family Scholarship was created for qualified candidates who are working toward either a business or a writing degree.
This scholarship is awarded on an alternating pattern between the Writing Department and the Seidman College of Business. As a result, this scholarship is only offered by the Writing Department every four years. The recipient will receive $750 per semester. This scholarship is renewable up to four (4) semesters provided the student continues to meet the qualifications.
Candidates must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- Must have 55 earned credit hours (normally junior standing)
- Be enrolled full-time as an undergrad in a Writing or Business major
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Must demonstrate financial need/file FAFSA
In addition to the application, applicants should submit a 2-page essay on their background, their writing, and their career goals and aspirations.
* Applications are due on or before MARCH 1 (Note: This scholarship is not available again until 2021.)