LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
The "+" Is All About Experiential Learning.
Student Employment+ was launched this summer, an initiative which seeks to leverage student employment as a means to provide students with an opportunity to engage in seamless learning, earn an income, and stay enrolled. The + (plus) is important because it identifies student employment jobs that are experiential in nature. These "+" positions allow supervisors and students to work together to co-create meaningful work that relates to classroom learning and future career goals. We seek to leverage Student Employment to create enhanced experiential learning opportunities with BOTH virtual and in-person work. Since we know that intentional work can take on learning power - we are looking to design more ways for students to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare them for both life and career.
1. Positions are posted via Handshake
2. Minimum starting wage of $10.37/hour
3. Established learning objectives
4. Mid & end semester evaluations
Learn While You Earn
Naturally, while the exact tasks of each position will vary, each SE+ job will allow students to:
- gain valuable skills and career-related competencies
- explore career/occupational interests
- learn workplace etiquette and professionalism
- enhance their professional network
- work remotely if GVSU operations are mainly off-site
Facilitating the "SE+" Experience
As part of our dedication and quality learning, we are intentionally seeking staff and faculty who are willing to hire and supervise these positions, those who are both willing and able to:
- co-create meaningful work with students through projects
- develop intentional learning outcomes that are tied to career development
- engage in regular mutually beneficial communication and feedback
- helping students reflect on how their experience relates to classroom learning and/or future career goals