Student Employee Appreciation Week
April 8 - 12, 2019
Each year, GVSU celebrates the National Student Employment Appreciation Week by engaging student employees in a variety of activities to promote and appreciate all of their hard work.
Student Employment hosts a week long celebration to thank student employees for all that they do. It is once again time to show GVSU's 5,000+ student workers how highly they are valued.
We've laid out all of the details for each event below. Help us spread the word about this celebration by posting information in your office, encouraging your student employees to attend events, & planning an event of your own! Departments are encouraged to celebrate their student employees on Wednesday. Be creative and have fun!
2019 Decoration Contest Theme: Movies
Choose a favorite movie and decorate your office!
1. Decorate your student employees' area/work space and take a picture.
2. Submit your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 pm on Monday, April 8, 2019. Only one JPEG image allowed per office. If you would like to make this one JPEG image a collage, you may do so, but please only submit one total image.
3. Vote: Come back to this web page to cast your vote for the most creative work space decor beginning the afternoon of Tuesday, April 9 - Friday, April 12 at 5:00 pm. One vote per GVSU network ID. Votes will be tallied and the winner will be announced and notified the week of April 15.
*Winner of the Decorating Contest will receive a pizza party for their student employees.
Join us for a free hot dog lunch for student employees!
Allendale: Lawn between the Student Services Center and the Clocktower from 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
DeVos: University Club from 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
*While supplies last. Sponsored by Campus Dining
We encourage departments to celebrate their student employees within their offices. Here is a list of celebration ideas:
- Write thank you notes for each student and have the entire staff sign them.
- Treat students to a pizza party, potluck lunch, or special breakfast.
- Create gift bags for each student, and invite staff members to donate small items for the gift bags.
- Play a fun game with the entire staff! Try a "one fact about me is...." matching game or a "two truths and a lie" game.
- Make up certificates for funny awards: "Best Telephone Voice", "Social Media Pro", etc.
- Participate in the Office Decoration Contest and dress up your student employees' work space for the week!
There are lots of other other ideas online if you search "student employee recognition" on Google or Pinterest! Have fun and be creative!
Student Employment & the APSS Employee Union would like to treat all student employees to an afternoon of fun and indulgent activities!
Allendale: Kirkhof Room 2215/2216 from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Watch the movie Mean Girls in KC 2215/2216
- Popcorn & Candy
- FREE back massages from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm in Kirkhof Room 2263
DeVos: Student Project Area in DeVos - Building C from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Popcorn & Candy
*While supplies last. Sponsored by the Alliance of Professional Support Staff
Come out and watch the Grand Rapids Griffins take on the Manitoba Moose. Tickets are $11.
To join the fun:
1. Come to Student Employment at 100 Student Services Center to purchase your tickets starting April 1st.
2. Pay with cash or check only. **Student employees are allowed to purchase up to 3 guest tickets at the $11 price.
3. Meet us at the game!
Downtown Grand Rapids: Van Andel Arena - game starts at 7:00 pm
*Limited amount of tickets available for purchase. While supplies last.
Partner: Grand Rapids Griffins