You will receive an email once you have been approved by Grand Valley
as an Employer. Once you have been approved as an Employer in
Handshake at Grand Valley, you will be able to post your position and
connect it to GVSU for our students to view.
- Log in to your Handshake account at https://gvsu.joinhandshake.com/ with
your email address and password that you used to create your account.
- Select the "Post a Job" button.
- Begin creating your job. Please keep in mind the following:
- For Job Type, please select "Job"
- For Work Study Job, please select "No"
- Please enter a good job description in the Description box of
what types of tasks the student will be performing. Example:
Providing care for a five year old girl and a two year old boy
in our home in Grand Rapids, MI. Hours would be 8:00 am - 4:30
pm, Monday - Friday. Light housework and laundry will be
expected, as well as providing engaging activities for the
children. Reliable transportation will be required.
- For Job Functions, please select "Other"
- For Approximate Salary, please enter a dollar amount per hour
and mark this as "Paid." We will not post any
positions without a wage posted that is at least the current
Michigan minimum wage ($9.45/hour).
- For Job Location, this will autofill from your Company that
you created. If this is not the correct location, please update
it in your job posting.
- Once you have entered all of your Basics, Details, and
Preferences information, you will be asked what schools you
would like to post this position at. Select the schools from
the list in the left column of the screen (Note - schools will
not appear in this list until you have been approved as an
Employer at that school.). Set the dates that you would like
the job application to open and close at each school, or use the
"Global apply state date" and "Global post
expiration" at the top of the screen to set the same dates
for multiple schools.
- Select the green "Create" button at the bottom of
the screen once you are finished.
- Once you have created your job, you will receive a summary page
of the job that shows that the job is in a Pending status. All jobs
will come to GVSU Student Employment for approval before being
posted. If we feel that further information is needed (you forgot
to list a wage, incomplete job description, etc.), you will be
contacted to provide the information before we will approve the
job. Once the job is approved, you will receive an email letting
- We reserve the right to expire any position at any time, if the
position is found to be fraudulent or deceitful in any way.