Our Statement About Service:
With the changing world around us, our definition of service is also changing. We believe there are always ways to give back to your community while adhering to guidelines set forth by local/state governments. With that being said, we want to give our students as many resources as possible to expand their definition of service. Helping to get your friends registered to vote, organizing a neighborhood clean up, or tutoring neighborhood kids are all ways that you can engage with your community while keeping you and everyone around you safe. Below you will find a number of different ways that you can get involved both in our GVSU community and beyond.
HOW TO GIVE BACK DURING COVID-19:
We realize that during challenging times there's a natural impulse to want to help others. Especially during times like these, there can be gaps in the volunteer workforce and a larger need for assistance in the community. To help students, faculty, and staff learn about ways they might volunteer or donate, check out the resources provided by the Office of Student Life's Community Service Learning Center.
Also, the following websites will help identify the most up-to-date list of local organizations accepting community help to aid in the COVID-19 response:
We also encourage you to regularly check the Centers for Disease Control site and the GVSU Coronavirus site for the most relevant information on how to keep yourself and our communities safe and healthy.
Community Engagement Opportunities
Weekly Internship Opportunities
Business & Entrepreneurship
- INTERN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT at Blueoco, LLC
- HR Intern at Custom Profile
- Hotel and Resort Operations at Drummond Island Resort and Conference Center
- Event Planning Intern at Emerge Consulting
- Customer Experience Management Intern at GM Financial
- Prism Rotational Program – Product Development Track at Henkel
- Finance Specialist at Hyundai Mobis North America
- Human Resource Internship at Mercantile Bank of Michigan
- International Trade Intern - East Michigan Office Only at U.S. Department of Commerce - U.S. Commercial Service Michigan Offices (Grand Rapids, East Michigan & Detroit)
Health and Human Services
- Medical Technologist/ Medical Laboratory Technician Opportunities at Bronson Healthcare Group
- Homeless Services Multi-Site Coordinator at Community enCompas
- Operations Program Coordinator at Head Start Kent County
- Physical Therapist PRN at Mercy Health - West Michigan
- Housing Navigator at Mid Michigan Community Action Agency
- Community Center Program Assistant at The Salvation Army
Education and Public Service
- Assistant Supervisor at Berrien County Juvenile Center
- Police Officer at City Of Kentwood
- Community Development Intern at City of Warren
- College Adviser at Michigan College Access Network/AdviseMI
- Development & Events Intern at Michigan Women Forward
- Paralegal/Legal Assistant at Stenger & Stenger, P.C.
- Information Technology Specialist at Allegan County
- Math Major Software Developer Internship at Auto-Owners Insurance Company
- Engineering Intern at Chem-Trend LP
- Jr. Quality Engineer at Dennen Steel Corporation
- GHSP Summer 2021 Internship at GHSP
- Intern, Data Analyst at Girl Scouts of Michigan Shore to Shore
- Engineering Co-Op at H & P Technologies, Inc.
Writing, Design, Communication & the Arts
- Live Production Lead (Audio & Video Engineer) at Cascade Fellowship Church
- Marketing Communications Intern at Chem-Trend LP
- Graphic Designer at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Graphic Design Intern- Undergraduate at Herman Miller, Inc.
- Communications Manager I at MSU Extension Human Resources
Virtual Service Opportunities
- The Heart of West Michigan United Way has many opportunities for virtual/remote service!
Become a mentor:
Additional places to find virtual service opportunities:
In-Person Service Opportunities
Check out these different places for in-person service opportunities!
- Gift of Life
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions
Places to find in-person service opportunities:
Drop-In Service Opportunities
We will be hosting drop-in services in Kirkhof Center from 12 p.m. -2 p.m.!
- February 12th
- February 19th
- March 5th
- March 19th
- April 2nd
- April 16th
Come join us and participate in service projects such as, Kid’s Food Basket Bags, T-shirt upcycling, bravery bracelets, and more!
Ways to Get Involved in Your Neighborhood
- Rake your neighbor's leaves or offer to shovel snow for them
- Organize a neighborhood cleanup
- Ask your neighbors if you can collect their cans to raise money for a non-profit
The information on this page is being provided strictly as a courtesy to our students seeking community engagement opportunities. The following list of opportunities is not coordinated by the CSLC. If any of these opportunities interest you please contact the community partner directly through the contact person listed.
The views and opinions represented by these organizations are not affiliated with Grand Valley State University. If you find that a position posted through this site is not as advertised, please notify the Community Service Learning Center at email@example.com.
Visit Handshake for more Volunteer and Job Opportunities
How to Search, Save, and Apply to Jobs in Handshake
How to Use Student Q&A in Handshake