- School of Accounting
Jonathan is a licensed attorney and CPA. He has extensive professional experience in taxation, including 14 years in public accounting and over 10 years as a Revenue Agent with the Internal Revenue Service. While at the IRS, he was a subject matter expert in financial instruments taxation and was part of a revenue agent training team. He has also served as a law clerk for the Michigan Tax Tribunal and a research attorney for the Michigan Court of Appeals. While in law school, Jonathan was the Editor-in-Chief of the WMU-Cooley Law Review.
A classical guitarist, Jonathan is the president of Kalamazoo Classical Guitar, an organization which sponsors classical guitar performances. Jonathan is a proud GVSU alumnus.
- J.D., WMU – Cooley Law School
- M.B.A., Grand Valley State University
- M.S.T., Grand Valley State University
- M.Acc., University of South Florida
- M.S., Accounting, University of South Florida
- Individual Taxation
- Entities Taxation
- Tax Practice and Procedure
- Multistate Taxation
- Substantive tax provisions
- IRS audit procedures and effectiveness
- Taxation of banks and financial instruments
- Constitutional limitations on states’ ability to tax
- Plain language in taxation
Brignall, J. with Joseph Kimble (2020). Plain Language, A Medical Power of Attorney. Michigan Bar Journal, July 2020, 42-47.
Faculty Coordinator of the GVSU VITA program, operated in partnership with the Heart of West Michigan United Way and the IRS.Back