Beta Gamma Sigma
Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) is the international honor society serving business programs accredited by AACSB International (which are the top 5% of business school programs around the world).
Members are first inducted as students, and they often go on to serve in critical leadership roles in corporate, entrepreneurial, government, non-profit, and academic sectors.
Membership in Beta Gamma Sigma is the highest recognition a business student anywhere in the world can receive in a business program accredited by AACSB International. BGS members are recognized as the “best in business.”
About Beta Gamma Sigma
The Mission of Beta Gamma Sigma is to encourage and honor academic achievement in the study of business, to cultivate and celebrate leadership and professional excellence, to advance the values of the Society, and to serve its lifelong members. The Society's mission is supported by the following objectives:
- Encourage and honor academic achievement by students of business and management through chapters in business programs accredited by AACSB International.
- Develop Beta Gamma Sigma members as student and professional leaders, and celebrate continuing leadership and excellence.
- Foster in Beta Gamma Sigma members an enduring commitment to the founding principles and values of the Society: honor and integrity, the pursuit of wisdom, earnestness, and service.
- Connect Beta Gamma Sigma student and alumni members to each other and to opportunities in their professional lives.
Beta Gamma Sigma is founded on a set of three principles. Each principle is represented by a Greek word. These words coincide with the initials of the Society.
- Beta is the initial letter of the word BEBAEOS (Beb-i-os), which signifies honor.
- Gamma is the initial letter of the word GNOSIS (no-sis), which means wisdom.
- Sigma is the initial letter of the word SPOUDE (spoo-day), which means earnestness.
Members of Beta Gamma Sigma endorse and strive to uphold these principles as their own.
Eligible students/faculty will receive an invitation from the Seidman College of Business Dean’s Office in the spring semester. This invitation will include the necessary instructions for becoming a lifelong BGS member.
Membership in Beta Gamma Sigma provides valuable educational and professional benefits for members on campus and throughout their professional lives. Some of the Beta Gamma Sigma membership benefits include:
- Conveys academic excellence and a commitment to high principles and superior achievement throughout your lifetime.
- Highlights your academic achievements and can help you stand out from the crowd.
- A notable distinction appears on your Grand Valley State University Transcript.
- Provides benefits to you and your professional life long after graduation.
- A membership certificate, pin and an honor cord you can wear over your gown if you chose to participate in the Graduation Celebration.
- Other educational benefits such as internships and volunteer opportunities, test preparations, scholarships, GMAT/GRE waivers.
- Other professional benefits such as travel, insurance, tech discounts, etc.
Professor Asli Akbulut
Beta Gamma Sigma advisor
Office Coordinator, Dean's Office