- School of Accounting
Lara received a B.A. in French from Northern Arizona University, a M.S.A. from Grand Valley State University, and a J.D. from Vanderbilt School of Law. She is a licensed attorney and a C.P.A. in the State of Tennessee. She currently teaches individual income tax at the undergraduate level and business law at the graduate level. She was a Captain in the United States Air Force and served four years as an Assistant Staff Judge Advocate and also worked as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, Western District of Texas. Lara joined the faculty at Grand Valley State University in 2007.
Lara is also a USA Gymnastics judge and in her free time, she judges local and regional gymnastics' competitions.
- M.S.A., Grand Valley State University (2007).
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law (1995).
- B.A., French, Northern Arizona University (1992).
- Financial Accounting
- Business Law
- Corporate Governance
- Kessler, L. , Vandenberg, N., (2021) CRYPTOCURRENCY AND THE IRS: A CASE APPLYING PROPERTY TAX RULES, Southern Law Journal, 204-235
- Danko, D. J., Goldberg, S. R., Kessler, L. (2021). Ethics of Shifting Taxable Income: Substance vs. Form. IMA Educational Case Journal, 14(3), 6
- Yuhas, M., Radom, C., Kessler, L. (2020). Corporate Buy-Sell Agreements- Taking Stock of the Issues: Income and estate tax, attribution, life insurance, C and S corporations. Estate Planning, 47(4), 23-41.
- Kessler, L., Goldberg, S. R. (2020). To Bribe or Not to Bribe: An Ethics Case on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Journal of Law, Business & Ethics, 26, 105-119.
- Kessler, L., Goldberg, S. R. (2019). Workplace Diversity: Benefits, Challenges, and Strategies. CPA Journal
- Kessler, L., Danko, D. (2019). On-Site Health Care Clinics: Management’s decisions and Their Impact on Company Profitability. Cost Management.
- Kessler, L., Goldberg, S. R., Bettinghaus, B. (2019). A Reporting Dilemma: Hiring Freeze Headcount. IMA Educational Case Journal, 12(2).
- Acting Director, School of Accounting, Fall 2021
- Faculty Senate President, 2018-2021
- Financial Executives International, Treasurer, 2020-Present
- Graduate Accounting Committee, Chair, 2020-Present
- Invited Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Business Law & Ethics Pedagogy, appointed. (August 2019 - Present).
- Invited Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Legal Studies Education, appointed, International. (August 9, 2010 - Present).