Grand Valley State University offers outstanding conference and event venues in which students, faculty, staff and community host educational, cultural and social events. These events help create a vibrant and active campus where lasting connections to the university are made. Attendees have a tangible GVSU experience – experiencing firsthand university facilities, services, and Laker hospitality.
Conference & Event Planning recognizes its responsibility to student engagement and student success. We provide exposure to employers and community leaders, helping to build name recognition for GVSU while creating a favorable impression in the community.
- Community Engagement – In partnership with the various offices, units, and committees, Conference & Event Planning coordinates all community engagement efforts on campus and informs interested campus constituencies of such activity. Students benefit from connecting community to campus and creating relationships with GVSU.
- Student Retention – Conference & Event Planning provides employment opportunities for students each year. Click here for more information on student employment.
- Experiential Learning – Conference & Event Planning provides valuable and meaningful internships for HTM students. This high-impact experience is beneficial for the student and the university. We enhance student success through learning opportunities that challenge, engage, and support students in an environment which encourages them to stretch beyond their comfort zones.
- Student Recruitment – Pew Campus is host to thousands of K-12 students attending on-campus events each year. Providing a tangible GVSU experience translates to future applicants. Summer Camps and Conferences is host to over 3,500 high school students each year.
- Sustainability – Sustainability is a shared value with our student population. Conference & Event Planning is a leader in sustainability efforts and model for best practices. Conference & Event Planning attained Certified Green Venue status through Michigan’s Department of Environmental Quality. We continue to host Green conferences – Zero Waste events, and attract additional business as a result.
- Assessment – Conference & Event Planning continually evaluates its performance and has a culture of continuous improvement. Survey results play an important role in measuring our performance. Clients consistently rate their “GVSU Experience” as Excellent and thereby associate GVSU with excellence.
- Efficiency – Conference & Event Planning’s centralized scheduling allows for better service, optimum room-utilization, and cost savings, helping keep prices low.
- Collaboration - Our department contributes to the hospitality education of students by collaborating with academic departments from across GVSU. Staff offers presentations, tours, and service learning opportunities to students - connecting in-class and out-of-class experiences.