Give from Your Donor Directed Fund
A donor directed fund (DDF) is a giving program administered by GVSU that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite program or area at GVSU. It is created to manage charitable donations to GVSU on behalf of an organization, family, or individual. This may be an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving to GVSU and facilitate your long-term goals. DDF's allow donors to give cash, stock, and other assets, where the donor may receive an immediate tax deduction when the contribution is made, but can grant a specified amount to areas at GVSU later.
How It Works
1. Establish your DDF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to GVSU or make a series of donations over time to the fund.
2. Recommend grants to programs or areas at GVSU of your choice, when you choose.
Main Advantages of Donor Directed Funds
Donor Directed Funds provide benefits that a one-time donation to GVSU may not, including:
- Simplicity - The DDF handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and gift acknowledgements.
- Flexibility - Timing of a potential tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency - Contributions may be tax-deductible and it is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple programs at GVSU in the future from one gift.
- Family legacy - A DDF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy as successor advisors may be named.
- No start-up costs - There is no cost to establish or adminster a donor designated fund and the fund can grow over time. However, there is a minimum thresfold to begin distributions from your DDF of $25,000.
- No transaction fees - Once you direct it, 100% of your recommended grant goes to the program or area at GVSU you designate.
- Privacy if desired - Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the program or area receiving the gift if desired.