LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
Endowed funds are the lifeblood of a university, helping to shape Grand Valley now and in the future. Endowments provide a source of income in perpetuity and can be unrestricted or focused depending on the interest and passion of the donor.
An endowment is a permanent fund that supports an area of the university specified by a donor or group of donors. The principal of the gift-which can be given either with a one--time gift or gifts made over a period of years--is invested and grows over time. These endowments create a constant stream of income. A portion of that income is made available to support students each year.
You can create an endowed fund that reflects your love of Grand Valley and carries you or your family's name forever, or contribute to an existing endowment with gifts of any size.
Common Types of Endowments
- Scholarships: Need and merit based endowed scholarships help make a Grand Valley education more affordable. Learn more about scholarships.
- Professorships/chairs: These fully funded faculty positions ensure that Grand Valley will attract and retain the very brightest teachers and scholars to engage our students.
- Academic program support: Grand Valley must have the resources and technology so critical to teaching and learning in today’s changing world. Endowed funds help the university keep academic programs relevant and innovative to meet the needs of employers and keep pace with student demand for critical learning.
How to Create a Named Endowment
There are many ways to create a named endowment fund that accomplishes your goals and suits your means. Ideas include:
- One time gifts of cash or stock
- Pledges over three to five years
- Pledge to provide annual distribution and endow later
- IRA Charitable Rollovers that allows tax-free distributions up to $100,000
- Gifts through your will or a beneficiary designation
- Gifts of assets like real estate, bonds, closely held stock or personal property
- Any combination of the above that best suits your needs!