LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Women's Community Collaborative
What is the Women's Community Collaborative?
- A unique 3-credit internship course (WGS 492) offered during the Winter semester
- Combines an analytical component with the practical field experience of working with a community agency serving women and girls
- Using an interdisciplinary perspective, the coursework draws upon the fields of women and gender studies, feminist theory, business administration, nonprofit theory and sociology.
- Prerequisite: Junior standing or permission of instructor
This course encourages students to think about inequality, challenge norms, show how private troubles can become public issues, and enter communities with humility as well as an openness to learning and personal transformation.
Who Should Enroll in This Course?
The Women’s Community Collaborative (WGS 492) is open to GVSU students pursuing any major/minor. Students of all gender identities are welcome to enroll. Coursework and internships focus on addressing issues of gender justice. For WGS majors, this course fulfills the high impact/civic engagement requirement. WGS majors, minors, and LGBTQ minors may also choose this course as an elective.
Examples of past agencies served include:
- Women's Resource Center
- Red Project
- Family Futures
- YWCA of West Michigan
- Center for Women in Transition
- Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women (GROW)
- Arbor Circle