Mission, Vision, Values
Creating and sustaining a community of scholar-activists who: understand systems of gender and sexuality; generate and apply intersectional feminist and queer perspectives; challenge structural inequalities; and work for social justice.
The Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Department will be a community of excellent faculty and students who share a vision of diverse gender justice, providing a theory-based and broadly engaged curriculum that focuses on transforming the campus and the larger community through rigorous scholarship as a foundation for teaching, learning, vocation, and civic life.
- Building communities that ensure gender justice
- Interdisciplinary approaches to teaching and research
- Liberal education and academic excellence in learning, teaching, and research
- Rigorous scholarship by faculty and students as a foundation for teaching, learning, vocation, and civic life
- Diverse, innovative, and effective teaching
- Assessment as a means to evaluate and improve student learning
- Culture of collegiality and collaboration
- Diversity, civic discourse, and democratic communities
- Experiential and high-impact learning
- International perspectives and experiences