Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Minor
The Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Department provides students:
- An interdisciplinary program of study grounded in the liberal arts
- A culminating academic experience through which students link the insights of separate courses
- Opportunities to apply theory to meaningful research or action projects, including internships, field work and service learning
In the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, students critically engage with texts, media, and theories to recognize their own social and cultural environments and to challenge prevailing ideas about privilege and inequality. Studying how categories of women, gender, and sexuality affect and are affected by our everyday lives, historical currents, and social institutions, provides students with skills that will prepare them for a wide range of careers. View the WGS program description in the catalog.
Minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies 2022-2023 Course Guide
Students who minor in WGS complete a minimum of 21 credits. Descriptions for all WGS class listings are available in the GVSU catalog.
Core Courses: All required (9 credits)
WGS 101 Introduction to Gender Studies
WGS 201 Foundations of Feminism
High impact/civic engagement emphasis: Students must complete one of the following courses:
- WGS 491 - Contemporary Theory and Practicum
- WGS 492 - Women's Community Collaborative
- WGS 493 - Community Collaborative in South Africa
For the remaining 12 credits, students can choose from a wide range of courses within WGS, courses cross-listed with other departments, and others approved for meeting program requirements.