Women's Commission Unsung Hero Award
Award Description & Nomination Criteria
This award honors the contributions of those who improve the GVSU community who may not be well known by the general public for the outstanding efforts they make.
This annual award, established in 2012, is presented to an individual who goes above and beyond to improve the lives of faculty, staff and students. The Unsung Hero Award will be presented at the annual Women’s Commission Celebrating Women Awards Ceremony.
Nominations are encouraged from all employment groups at Grand Valley. The nomination and selection process is confidential. Please do not notify the candidate of your decision to nominate them. Any member of the Grand Valley community may be nominated for this award, and will be judged in part on these qualifications:
- Advocacy, beyond one’s job responsibilities, for gender equality in alignment with the mission of the Women’s Commission
- Contribution to the mission, vision, and values at Grand Valley State University
- Demonstration of a positive influence on the GVSU and/or surrounding community from behind the scenes
- Commitment to improving the lives of students, faculty, and staff at Grand Valley and/or in the community through generous acts of kindness and exhibiting compassion for the GVSU community at large
- Contribution of time and talents without hesitation and with a commitment to excellence
This list is not intended to be inclusive, but rather to give some measure of excellence. The nominee need not excel in all areas. The contribution can be in the recent past or over a longer period of time.
Past Unsung Hero Award Recipients
2017 - Autumn Gorsline-Davis
2016 - Doris Penn
2015 - Linda Rettig
2014 - Amy Campbell & Doriana Gould
2013 - Kate Harmon
2012 - Michelle Duram