As of Aug. 9, 2021 we have discontinued use of IM Leagues now that strict capacity limits no longer need to be maintained. Please check-in with the staff at the Climbing Center desk upon entry.
Who Can Climb at GVSU?
We are currently only open to GVSU students, faculty, staff. We hope to be able to re-open our doors to General Public in the very near future.
Where to Find Us
The Climbing Center is located in the Fieldhouse on the Allendale campus. This building is often also referred to as the Rec Center but our wall is not located in the same areas as the workout equipment.
Parking - GVSU Student commuters will find the nearest parking in Lot C. Faculty/ Staff in Lots C & E. General public visitors who do not have a parking pass will find a pay-to-park lot adjacent to the Laker Market Place (bookstore).
Before You Visit
For the continued safety of all participants, we ask that you adhere to the following expectations.
- Complete the online self-assessment prior to arriving on campus/ at the Climbing Center. Staff will ask to see your passed assessment at check-in. General public should use this self-assessment form. Please stay home if you don't feel well.
- Visit the Lakers Together website for the most up to date information regarding campus face covering requirements and other safety protocol.s
- If you or anyone in your party are under the age of 18, be sure to have our waiver completed by the parent/ legal guardian. Signatures by older siblings, relatives, or chaperones will not be accepted.
All climbers must check-in before getting on the wall. Expect your first visit to take 5-10 minutes for checking-in.
- Adding you to our climber database
- *Signing the waiver
- A brief overview of our wall, climbing etiquette and general expectations
- Rental gear distribution & adjustment
*Participants under 18 years of age are required to have their waiver signed by their Parent or Legal Guardian. Older siblings, relatives, or baby sitters do not qualify as legal guardians.
Your First Climbs
During our Open Climb times, our staff are at your service. We are happy to recommend a few good climbs, tie your knots, handle your ropes (belay) & and answer any questions you might have.
New to climbing?
You will have the opportunity to participate in 2 styles of climbing:
- Bouldering - Climbing low to the ground (< 13 ft) without the use of all the technical gear (ropes, harnesses, belay devices, etc...).
- Top Roping - Ascending the wall with the protection of a rope that is anchored at the top.
We also offer a variety of Lead climbs (safety check required). Rope and quickdraws are provided.
Belaying your friends
All participants who have been trained to belay but have not belayed in our facility before must pass a brief safety check with one of our staff before belaying.
For the safety of all of the participants, only Climbing Center staff may instruct technical lessons. This includes, but is not limited to, any and all portion of knots & belaying.
A variety of technical lessons and workshops are offered each semester. The frequency that each is offered varies based on the content and perceived desire of the students. Check our events calendar regularly for upcoming workshops and instruction.