LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
General Diagnostics & Maintenance Skills
Outdoor Adventures hosts a variety of pop-up events around campus offering diagnostics for bicycle issues, basic maintenance workshops, and once in a great while has been known to offer free tune-ups. Please check the RecWell Events Calendar for any upcoming programs.
A well maintained bicycle is not only safer, more reliable, & longer lasting. It's more fun to ride!
The Allendale & Pew Campuses have a variety of amenities to support your biking needs.
- Allendale Campus Dero Fixit Station - Located at the covered bike racks between Stafford & Swanson Living Centers. Each station contains basic tools, repair stand, air pump, & QR code that will open a series of instructional maintenance videos on your phone!
- Pew Campus Dero Fixit Stations - Each station contains basic tools, repair stand, air pump, & QR code that will open a series of instructional maintenance videos on your phone!
- Compressed Air - The Connection (east side of building) & South Utilities Building (north side of building).
Note: Pumps provide pressure up to 80 psi and do not have a gauge. This pressure will over-inflate most bike's tires and can lead to ruptured tubes (i.e. flats). Pumps require an adapter for Presta valves which can be purchased at any local bike shop.
- Showers - Located inside the Recreation Center
Local Bike Repair
There are many stellar bike shops in the Grand Rapids area. However there are two that standout near campus for your bike repair needs.
- Located ~8 miles SE from campus in Jenison.
- This is the closest option to campus but only practical if you have access to a personal vehicle to transport your bike.
- Located ~12.5 miles East of campus in Grand Rapids.
- This is an ideal option if traveling by bus is your only option. By bus from Allendale, take the 50 to the Standale Meijer.
- Transfer to the 7 (West Leonard) and get off at either the Tamarack or Fremont stops.
- Freewheeler will be on the north side of the road between the two stops.