1L at MSU College of Law
Why GVSU Political Science?
- Our courses are taught by professors, not graduate students.
- The department is staffed with PhDs from top graduate programs.
- Our focus is undergraduate education.
- Multiple professors have won awards for their teaching.
- Professors are published experts in their subfields.
- Small class sizes enable skill development:
- Critical thinking
- Data analysis
- Digital literacy
- Oral communication
- Many classes feature debates, simulations and real-world problem solving.
- Study abroad and improve your cross-cultural communication and problem-solving skills.
- Majors choose from a wide range of courses.
- Choice of BA (language) or BS (statistics and research methods).
- 36 credit, flexible major enables students to pursue double major if they prefer.
- Minor options: general political science and a teachable minor for education.
- We offer many courses for General Education.
- Internships available locally, in Lansing, and throughout the state
- Internships available in DC through our affiliation with the Washington Center
- Many career options
- Excellent preparation for a wide range of graduate programs
Mission and Vision
Mission – Political Science Department
The mission of the Department of Political Science is to prepare students for citizenship, post-baccalaureate education and professional careers through a wide range of course offerings, advising, internships, and experience in local, state, national and international contexts.
Vision – Political Science Department
The Department of Political Science is committed to setting a standard of excellence in the undergraduate study of Political Science. Students gain comprehensive knowledge of American and global governance and politics through coursework in American politics, political theory, comparative politics and international relations. We prepare students to be well-informed citizens and to make meaningful contributions to local, state, national, and international communities. We foster a diverse community engaged in inquiry, expression, and rigorous scholarship.
Mission – International Relations Program
The mission of the International Relations Program, an interdisciplinary program housed in the Department of Political Science, is to prepare students for citizenship, post-baccalaureate education, and professional careers through interdisciplinary coursework in international relations, advising, and participation in internships, with an emphasis on study abroad and other international experiences.
Vision – International Relations Program
We are committed to setting a standard of excellence in the interdisciplinary undergraduate study of International Relations, including the geography, history, economics, languages and politics of global interactions. International Relations students gain comprehensive knowledge of the complex economic, social, cultural and political relationships among citizens, societies, states and international institutions. Students attain both theoretical and experiential knowledge of International Relations and critical analytic skills through study on campus and, in most cases, study abroad. We prepare students to be well-informed citizens and to make meaningful contributions to the increasingly globalized world. We foster a diverse international community engaged in inquiry, expression, and rigorous scholarship.
Values – Political Science and International Relations
In the Department of Political Science and the International Relations Program at Grand Valley State University, we strive toward acquiring and utilizing knowledge of Political Science and International Relations in a setting of academic freedom, methodological and theoretical pluralism, while encouraging disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- We value excellence in education facilitated through
- Active student-teacher engagement and academic achievement in a rigorous and challenging course of study that emphasizes the development of critical and analytical thinking and writing.
- Student exposure to a variety of theoretical and political perspectives for the purpose of enhancing critical and analytical thinking and writing skills.
- A comprehensive coverage of the discipline and access to a wide variety of upper-level courses.
- Emphasis on internships, co-curricular and civic education opportunities in our local, state, national and global communities.
- Excellence in faculty scholarship.
- Service to the discipline, unit, college, university and community.
- Student development as well-informed, global citizens in a democratic society.
GVSU Political Science Department
Phone: (616) 331-2320
1121 AuSable Hall
1 Campus Dr
Allendale, MI 49401-9403