Welcome to GVSU Political Science
While you are here:
- Courses taught by professors, not graduate students
- Small class sizes enable skill development
- Flexible major or minor
- Excellent General Education courses
- Internships in Michigan or Washington DC
Doors open to you:
- Many career options
- Excellent preparation for a wide range of graduate programs
More About Us
- Political Science major (BA or BS)
- Political Science minor
- Political Science teachable minor
- International Relations major (BA)
- International Relations minor
- LEAP (Legal Education Admission Program). Dual degree:
BA or BS from GVSU political science. JD from Michigan State University College of Law.
Internships, Jobs and Careers
Your career starts with you, develops in the classroom, and continues in the field. Political science is excellent preparation for a wide variety of jobs and careers. Many classes feature debates, simulations and real-world problem solving. Our small class sizes enable you to develop the skills needed to advance in your career and/or graduate school:
- Critical thinking
- Data analysis
- Digital literacy
- Oral communication
We highly recommend internships for our students. Internships are available in Michigan and in DC through our affiliation with the Washington Center.
Political science is an excellent major for a wide range of graduate programs, including law school, business and public administration.
For more information:
- The department is staffed with PhDs from top graduate programs.
- Our focus is undergraduate education.
- Multiple professors have won awards for their teaching.
- Professors are published experts in their subfields.
Meet our faculty
Contact information, fields of specialization, and faculty profiles.
The Political Science Department offers a wide range of courses in the General Education curriculum. Many students who are not political science majors find our General Education courses stimulating and provocative. Majors and minors are able to take these courses to simultaneously fulfill General Education and major/minor requirements.
Political science is a very popular major or minor for pre-law students (students who plan to attend law school). The Political Science Department has a pre-law faculty advisor. The Department offers a dual degree (BA or BA plus JD from MSU College of Law). For more information, visit the pre-law page.
May 01, 2019
Two papers were selected as the Outstanding Papers written in 2018
April 11, 2019
Hartline and Zomer Honored at Student Awards Convocation
April 04, 2019
Political Science and International Relations major Cameron Jones is a finalist for the prestigious Truman Scholar competition.
April 02, 2019
Dr. Gamal Gasim interviewed as part of WKTV's Journal In Focus series.