Welcome to GVSU Political Science
While you are here:
- Courses taught by professors, not graduate students
- Small class sizes enable skill development
- Flexible major or minor
- Excellent General Education courses
- Internships in Michigan or Washington DC
Doors open to you:
- Many career options
- Excellent preparation for a wide range of graduate programs
More About Us
- Political Science major (BA or BS)
- Political Science minor
- Political Science teachable minor
- International Relations major (BA)
- International Relations minor
- LEAP (Legal Education Admission Program). Dual degree:
BA or BS from GVSU political science. JD from Michigan State University College of Law.
Internships, Jobs and Careers
Your career starts with you, develops in the classroom, and continues in the field. Political science is excellent preparation for a wide variety of jobs and careers. Many classes feature debates, simulations and real-world problem solving. Our small class sizes enable you to develop the skills needed to advance in your career and/or graduate school:
- Critical thinking
- Data analysis
- Digital literacy
- Oral communication
We highly recommend internships for our students. Internships are available in Michigan and in DC through our affiliation with the Washington Center.
Political science is an excellent major for a wide range of graduate programs, including law school, business and public administration.
For more information:
- The department is staffed with PhDs from top graduate programs.
- Our focus is undergraduate education.
- Multiple professors have won awards for their teaching.
- Professors are published experts in their subfields.
Meet our faculty
Contact information, fields of specialization, and faculty profiles.
The Political Science Department offers a wide range of courses in the General Education curriculum. Many students who are not political science majors find our General Education courses stimulating and provocative. Majors and minors are able to take these courses to simultaneously fulfill General Education and major/minor requirements.
Political science is a very popular major or minor for pre-law students (students who plan to attend law school). The Political Science Department has a pre-law faculty advisor. The Department offers a dual degree (BA or BA plus JD from MSU College of Law). For more information, visit the pre-law page.
November 18, 2019
International Relations Students Simulate Response to Calamitous Global Event
September 27, 2019
GVSU Political Science and International Relations Summer 2019 Internships
September 17, 2019
Weekly Group Tutoring Sessions Available for PLS 102, 103, 105, and 211
December 2, 2019 7:30 PM
The spirit, brilliance, and festive nature of the holiday season is never more glorious than when the rich sounds of brass choir coupled with the sheer power and majesty of the organ fill our ears. Central...
December 4, 2019 6:30 PM
Pizza will be provided, and the event is Lib 101/201 approved. In the 1980s, when the US government failed to take action to address the AIDS crisis, those at the center of the epidemic took...