Concert Band (MUS 102)
M, W, F 3:00-3:50 p.m.
Haas Center for Performing Arts, room 1515
Under the baton of Professor John Martin, the Grand Valley State University Concert Band is comprised of the finest music majors and talented non-music majors at Grand Valley State University. This ensemble is dedicated to broadening the artistic level and interest of its members while performing music of artistic and historical significance. Such works include: H. Owen Reed's La Fiesta Mexicana, Frank Ticheli's Vesuvius, David Maslanka's Give Us This Day, Rolf Rudin's Der Traum des Oenghus, and Symphony No. 6 For Band by Vincent Persichetti. The GVSU Concert Band has also been featured at the Michigan Music Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Membership is open to all Grand Valley State University students after completion of a successful audition. Audition information is below. Please contact Professor John Martin at [email protected] if you have any further questions.
CLICK HERE for 2023 Fall - MUS 102 Syllabus
CLICK HERE for 2023 Fall - Cycle I Rehearsal Schedule
Concert Band Audition Information
- Students registered for applied lessons
- Review the Ensemble Audition Information Page and prepare the excerpts and show up for your instrument’s specific block of time. You will be placed in one of the major ensembles (Symphonic Band, Concert Band, or Orchestra).
- Non-music majors/minors and those not registered for applied lessons auditioning for Concert Band ONLY.
- Review the Ensemble Audition Information Page and prepare the excerpts
- Audition Date: Sunday, August 27
- Time: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Location: Room 1211, Haas Center for Performing Arts
- Audition Sign Up list will be posted on the door of room 1211, Haas Center for Performing Arts on August 1, 2023
Audition Results and First Rehearsal:
Audition results will be posted on the GVSU Bands bulletin board located in the 1500 hallway in the Haas Center for the Performing Arts by 8:00 am on the first day of classes
The first rehearsal will be Monday, January 28, 2023 in Haas Center for Performing Arts, room 1515 from 3:00-3:50 p.m.