LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Concerto Competition Application
Guidelines for the November 2021 GVSU Concerto Competition
Special circumstances due to Covid-19: The winner for the orchestra division of this year’s competition will likely perform with the GVSU orchestra in the Fall 2022 semester. This is to accommodate performances from past winners. The winner for the Wind Symphony division of this year’s competition will perform with the Wind Symphony at the March 22, 2022 concert.
Competition format: Student competitors will perform their selection for a video and audio recording in SVS Recital Hall. Judges will determine winners from viewing these performances.
Application-The application form is available
online under the Current Students-Student Forms section of the
department webpage. Students must fill out the form completely and
pay the $10 fee via credit card. Applications must be submitted
online no later than 11:59 PM on Friday, September 24,
2021. Failure to submit the form and fee by the deadline
will result in automatic disqualification.
- The application this year will include signing up for your audition time on Sunday Nov. 7 or Nov. 14.
- Approval of piece- Early approval of the selections by the ensemble conductors is strongly recommended. Students should contact Dr. Duitman (Orchestra) and/or Dr. Tutt (Wind Symphony) two weeks prior to submitting their application to allow time to verify that their concerto is obtainable for performance. If students do not choose to gain approval of their piece before application submission, their piece will be reviewed after their application is submitted. Applied teachers and students should be prepared to provide a full score or a piano reduction score and recording/video of a performance with full accompaniment (video preferred). If a selection does not receive conductor approval, students will be notified by October 8, 2021. If a piece does not receive approval, students may seek the approval of a different selection through the same process.
- Time Limits- Auditions will be limited to 12 minutes. It is highly recommended that students consult with their applied teacher to make appropriate cuts for the competition audition. All final performance selections must be at least 7 minutes long (vocalists may perform more than one selection) but cannot exceed 20 minutes of total performance time. In the event that a work is through-composed or a single movement that exceeds 20 minutes, it will be permissible via pre-approval by the appropriate ensemble conductor.
- First-year students may not compete.
- Entrance is open only for current, full-time GVSU students enrolled in one of our three undergraduate music programs or music minor program. No part-time students may participate.
- Keyboard, voice, and string students must have their music memorized, as is standard practice in professional competitions.
- One winner will be selected for Wind Symphony and one for Symphony Orchestra. A student may enter the competition for both Wind Symphony and for Orchestra but may only win one division, not once for each ensemble. Duos, trios, and quartets will be allowed, but, if winning, each member of the ensemble may not compete again.
- All auditions must be accompanied by piano. The student is responsible for ensuring the accompanist is present for their audition time. If an accompanist is not present at the audition time, the student is disqualified. Backup tracks, play-alongs, or any kind of electronic accompaniment is not allowed.
Please note that the time you select on this form below is your audition time.
* denotes a required field