Woodwind/Brass Audition Information
New GVSU Non-Music Majors/Minors & Non-GVSU Area College/University Students
Scheduling a Zoom Audition & Preparation of Audition Music
Scheduling Your Zoom Audition:
- Complete the Online Woodwind/Brass Audition Registration Form
- Zoom audition will be conducted on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights
- Once your audition form is received, we will call to confirm your Zoom audition time on your selected date
- Zoom Audition Dates:
- February 2021:
- Mon. 2/15, Tues. 2/16, Wed. 2/17; All 6-9 p.m.
- Mon. 2/22, Tues. 2/23, Wed. 2/24; All 6-9 p.m.
- March 2021:
- Mon. 3/22, Tues. 3/23, Wed. 3/24; All 6-9 p.m.
- Mon. 3/29, Tues. 3/30, Wed. 3/31; All 6-9 p.m.
- April 2021:
- Mon. 4/19, Tues. 4/20, Wed. 4/21; All 6-9 p.m.
- Mon. 4/26, Tues. 4/27, Wed. 4/28; All 6-9 p.m.
- May 2021:
- Mon. 5/10, Tues. 5/11, Wed. 5/12; All 6-9 p.m.
- Mon. 5/17, Tues. 5/18, Wed. 5/19; All 6-9 p.m.
- June 2021:
- Tues. 6/15, Wed. 6/16, Thurs. 6/17; All 6-9 p.m.
- Tues. 6/22, Wed. 6/23, Thurs. 6/24; All 6-9 p.m.
- July 2021:
- Mon. 7/12, Tues. 7/13, Wed. 7/14; All 6-9 p.m.
- Mon. 7/19, Tues. 7/20, Wed. 7/21; All 6-9 p.m.
- February 2021:
If you are unable to attend any of the Zoom audition dates, please e-mail Dr. John Martin at GVSULMB@gvsu.edu
The official last day to audition is August 1, 2021.
Preparation of Audition Music:
- The "LMB Woodwind/Brass Audition Music" (total of 3 songs) posted below. Play each song, in order, and demonstrate correct tempos (see tempo for each song below), styles, articulations, dynamics, and observance all rests (short or extended). The music does not have to be memorized for the audition.
- Your Bb Concert Scale beginning with your lowest concert Bb and continuing as high as you can play without descending. Please play your Bb Concert Scale in half notes at a tempo of Quarter Note = 100
Online Woodwind/Brass Audition Registration Form
*Zoom audition dates held from December until mid-July!
Notification of Acceptance
- Notification of acceptance into the LMB will be made on or before July 1st.
- Part assignments will be made on or before July 3rd.
**All accepted members must register for MUS 107 (marching band). This is a one (1) credit class.
**Full-time students at area colleges/universities may audition. Accepted members not attending GVSU may have to pay for a GVSU parking pass.
Mandatory Summer Camps
A. Laker Marching Band Mandatory Uniform Fitting Day
- All accepted members of the 2021 Laker Marching Band who live within a 3 hour drive of GVSU's Allendale Campus MUST attend one (1) Laker Marching Band Mandatory Uniform Fitting Day on either Saturday, August 7 (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) OR Saturday, August 14 (9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Students who live further than 3 hours from GVSU's Allendale Campus, are not required to attend Uniform Fitting Day. These students will be fitted for their uniform at Band Camp.
- You will select your day on the online Audition Form. You will be able to change days if needed.
- More information (schedule, etc.) will be sent to all accepted members of the LMB on July 15.
B. Laker Marching Band Camp - Full Band
**We cannot make definitive plans for our band camp at this time, but we hope to have final plans in place by June 1, 2021. Below are the two band camp options:
- Plan 1 - Thursday, August 19 - Wednesday, August 25
- Plan 2 - Saturday, August 21 - Wednesday, August 25
Required LMB Woodwind/Brass Audition Music
**Any person auditioning on Piccolo, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, or Baritone may chose 1st or 2nd parts or upper/lower notes when divided.
a. Please note that the LMB only marches piccolos and all accepted members must provide their own piccolo for the season.
b. Those auditioning on Tenor Sax or Baritone Sax and accepted must provide their own instrument for the season.
c. Part assignments will be made with the announcement of auditions results.
LMB Woodwind/Brass Audition Music Tempos:
- Alma Mater (quarter note=88)
- Pregame C (half note=104)
- GVSU Fight Song (half note=140)
Click the Link below for reference audio to the audition music:
GVSU Incoming or New Music Majors/Minors
Those auditioning for entrance into the GVSU Music Department as music majors must schedule their audition through the Music Office. More information concerning dates and auditions can be found at www.gvsu.edu/music. Your audition will count as an audition for the Laker Marching Band.
**GVSU provides instruments ONLY for the following: Mellophone, Baritone, and Sousaphone.
If you would like to get more information about the Laker Marching Band, please contact the Band Office at (616) 331-2942 or at email@example.com. Please leave a voicemail if your call is not answered!