Can I change my name at Grand Valley State University?

Students, faculty, and staff may designate a name other than their legal name to be used in some areas, systems, and communications in which a legal name is not otherwise required. At GVSU, this is called “myName.” Requesting and receiving a myName is not a legal name change. Once a myName has been submitted and approved, the myName will be used in most university communications. Examples of where myName will appear include Blackboard, mailroom, and GVSU ID. Legal names are still required in certain areas, including financial aid paper work (such as the FAFSA), academic transcripts, payroll, and others. Please note that legal name will still appear on class rosters. 

How do I request a myName?

To request a myName, follow these steps:

  1. Login to myBanner and select the Personal Information tab and then My Profile. 
  2. You will be directed to another authentication page where you will be prompted to enter your network credentials.
  3. Select Edit on the Personal Details section and enter your myName.

When your myName has been received and reviewed, you will receive an email letting you know either that it has been approved or requesting further information. Once approved, please allow up to two days for the myName to be updated across campus systems. 

How do I get a new GVSU ID with myName?

To obtain an ID card using myName, students should visit the Registrar's Office in person at any of the Student Assistance Centers in Allendale, Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon, or Traverse City.  Faculty and Staff may visit Human Resources to obtain a new ID.  

What else do I need to know about myName?

  1. People Finder will automatically update to myName for students. This change will be reflected within one to two business days of myName approval. Faculty and Staff must request that their department update the telephone directory for People Finder to reflect myName. 
  2. Email display name: Email display name will automatically update to myName for students. Faculty and staff who want to update their email display name must submit an online request. After logging in with your current network id and password, click on Request Email Display Name Change under the Self Service options. Please note that email display name is not the same as the actual email/network account ID. 
         Please see the example below:
              Legal name = Chris Jones
              Approved myName = Pat Jones
              Email display name if no change requested = ‘Chris Jones'
              Email display name if changed to myName via request to [email protected] = ‘Pat Jones'
              Email/network account ID will remain = [email protected]

For more information about the above processes, as well as steps for processing a legal name change at GVSU,  go to

If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions to improve existing use name processes, please contact the Center staff at [email protected].

Visit our Trans Resources page

For more information on trans athletic policies and changing your legal name visit our Trans Resources page.

Page last modified March 7, 2023