At Grand Valley State University we recognize that an individual may wish to be identified by a professional, personal, preferred, display or use name without making an official legal name change. Students, faculty, and staff may use the new myName process to update Banner and some related systems with such a name. The goal of our new myName process will allow students, faculty, and staff to have such a name appear anywhere a legal name is not required. Please note that legal name will still show in many systems during the transition. Work will continue throughout the calendar year in upgrading systems to use myName. See Current myName Usage to find out where myName has been implemented thus far.
HOW DO I REQUEST A MYNAME?
- Log into myBanner and select the Personal Information tab and then My Profile.
- You will be directed to another authentication page where you will be prompted to enter your network credentials.
- Select Edit on the Personal Details section and enter your myName.
- You will receive email notifications throughout the request process.
- To obtain a new GVSU ID card using myName, please visit the Registrar's Office in person at any of the Student Assistance Centers in Allendale, Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon, or Traverse City. Faculty and Staff may visit Human Resources to obtain a new ID. Note that it may take up to two business days for the myName to be available in the GVSU ID card system.
- People Finder will automatically use the Students' myName and will be reflected within one to two business days. Faculty and Staff must request their department to update the telephone directory for People Finder to reflect myName.
- Faculty and Staff: If you want your email display name updated to reflect your myName:
You must submit an online request. Your email display name is reflected by a first and last name you choose versus the actual email/network account ID.
Please see the example below:
Legal name = Chris Jones
Approved myName = Pat Jones
Email display name if no change requested = ‘Chris Jones'
Email display name if changed to myName via online request = 'Pat Jones'
Email/network account ID will remain = firstname.lastname@example.org
For further assistance, refer to the video on "How to enter myName in Banner".
Questions regarding myName, legal name or the procedures described above should be directed to the following offices:
The University reserves the right to remove or deny a myName request if used inappropriately. This includes, but is not limited to, names using foul or inappropriate language or names submitted to avoid a legal obligation or to create misrepresentation.
HOW DO I REQUEST A LEGAL NAME CHANGE?
WHERE WILL MYNAME BE USED?
Grand Valley is phasing in the universal use of myName wherever possible except where legal name is required by the university for legal obligations. Both internal and external communications (i.e. emails, letters or calls to students/parents/guardians, internships) as well as People Finder Directory will include myName. Please note that systems will be changing throughout the next calendar year in getting us towards this goal. See Current myName Usage below to find out where myName has been implemented.
Please send your suggestions, ideas, or questions regarding myName to Vice Provost IT Department.
Systems where legal name is required:
- Accounting and Taxes
- Accounts Payable
- Admissions Application
- Employment and Payroll
- Government Reporting
- Health Care and Benefits
- NCAA eligibility
- Official Transcripts
- Student Accounts (billing, loans and collections)
- Travel and Expenses
Current myName Usage
For more information, review the complete list of systems currently using myName.