“Staying in Place” order will be in effect for GVSU students living in Allendale Township from September 17 through October 1. Read more
All applications are now streamlined through the financial aid office. Click here and search "lgbt" to access to the application.
There are three scholarships for LGBT and allied students at GVSU.
The GVSU Faculty-Staff LGBT Scholarship was created by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) faculty and staff at Grand Valley State University and by others who are supportive of LGBT students.
Award: Up to $2,500
- Preference is given to LGBT students
- It is open to both undergraduate and graduate students, enrolled full or half-time
- Must be degree-seeking student with a 2.0 minimum cumulative grade point average and making satisfactory academic progress
- Financial need, as demonstrated by a current completed FAFSA, may be considered
The West Shore AWARE Scholarship was created by West Shore AWARE, a philanthropic organization of gay men and women striving to create a positive image by working for the community in which they live.
Award: usually $3,000
- Preference will be given to LBGT students or to other students who demonstrate visible positive support for issues important to the well-being of the broad LGBT community
- May be enrolled part-time or full-time as undergraduate or graduate student
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be making standard of academic progress
- Financial need will be taken into consideration
The Hamlin Endowed Memorial Scholarship was established in loving memory of Fredrick Keith Hamlin to assist students with the costs of a Grand Valley State University (GVSU) education who are involved with the GVSU Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center and have demonstrated a career interest in environmental design, nursing, psychology or education.
- Recipients for this scholarship shall have been accepted for or currently enrolled at GVSU
- Must be an undergraduate junior or senior and enrolled for 12 credit hours or more
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater (on a 4.0 scale)
- Preference will be given to students with a declared major or demonstrated interest in Environmental Design, Nursing, Psychology and Education
National Scholarship Opportunities